Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hub cap

This may be dumb-but-What is the winged critter on the Star hub cap? Thanks Lloyd

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star

Re: Hub cap

Hi Lloyd......

It's a mythical creature a Griffith (dragon)

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? 19 and counting

Hi:

Hmmmm, sure that's not a Griffin? A Gryphon works too.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 25 Star Model F Touring

This was covered before in great detail .. seems its the Welsh Dragon used on hub caps and rad crests, on Durant's / Star's.

photo thumbnail.jpg

Go back to 2009 Forum about Logo, part I've copied here from Carol's part.

I have a copy of the DURANT STANDARD from 1983.
The first page article Headline was""Frills and Decorations"
Here is the story:
"Throughout Durant producion, a dragon appeared on the radiator emblem for all Durant cars and those after Sept.1925 for Star. Now I've heard it called a lion, a griffin and more, but research shows it to have been a dragon, in fact, properly known as the "Red Dragon of Wales" or the "Welsh Dragon" The griffin has the head of wings of an eagle, while the dragon is all dragon, with a long barbed tail and bird-like feet. The question of why Durant chose the dragon for his medallion may never be answered, but perhaps there is a little Welsh Blood in the Durant family tree. The design and choice of colors for the Durant crest used early on Durant cars, also remains a mystery at this time, and research into heraldry books has turned up little information."

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Thanks Guys! I appreciate the information. Lloyd

Thanks Norm.
Sometimes questions have been covered as past forum topics but as new members come along, it's great to have people that can put forth answers and information to assist. These updates are always interesting.

Hi fellow Ontarian Don't know what I did yesterday but some of these longer term items are still in the mind. Must be the Canadian cold that locks it up there. More snow tomorrow.

Yep just checked the weather network and 10 - 15 cms of snow tomorrow morning and temp feels like minus 16 C presently going up to minus 10 C tomorrow. Low all next week minus 10 to 17 C range. No wonder maple sugar hasn't started.

Sap is just starting here also but it looks like none till late next week.Lloyd

Just came in from digging out 6 to 8 inches of new snow. This is Spring ??

Pulled up Fortune Farms outside Almonte to see what their site has.

Good news. We had a small run of sap yesterday and we have enough for the Kettle Boys to set up their kettles on Saturday and Sunday. We will not have enough for the big evaporator unless the sap runs today. Then another cold spell but by the 27th the forecast is for warmer weather and the real start of the maple season.

Hi:

If you think the vintage car enthusiasts are sick and tired of winter, the maple syrup producers sure want it to end too, and soon! They're getting edgy that it will turn hot or perhaps turn warm and not freeze at night and they will be short changed on the first agricultural crop of the year. It's big biz these days and contributes heavily to the economy in Canada and the 14 or so producing states. Sit back and wait I guess.

We are only tapping 500 this year due to deep snow and lack of labor but get sap from many others. Bottled up a batch of 1/2 pints and pints today. Will have to cut up some firewood tomorrow.This has been a brutal winter. After syrup season, will get started on restoring the Star into Depot Hack.

Tell us about it after I just got my heating bill. The long cold March with more snow on the way, furnaces just run constantly to heat the homes. Heating Co's and government with sales tax are just loving it.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club