Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

Restoration Recommendations
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carburator

I have a Rugby 1928 and am looking for an original carburetor. Toledo Tillotson ,model R-6A. where can find one?
I appreciate your comments.

Where Are You From? Argentina

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. Rugby 1928

Re: Carburator

Nestor
It's going to be very hard to find the Tillotson carb anywhere and if you do you should not use it except for display purposes. A recent long discussion on the Antique Automobile Club of America from members and several professional carb rebuilders say stay away from them. Some professional rebuilders will not even attemp a rebuild. These carbs were made with a metal we now call pot metal. I'm not chemist but the composition of the metal had a high lead content which has now caused the metal to crumble and fracture. Since most Durant/Devaux and other cars have the exhaust pipe under the intake manifold, a dripping carb could lead to a terrific fire. There are no reproductions made, but you can get period carb made by other manufactures. Also our club President Frank sells a great replacement that many club members use. Think seriously before you install one of these, you would not want to burn up that rare and treasured Devaux.

Where Are You From? Oviedo (Near Orlando) Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 four door

The Durant Motors Automobile Club