Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: steeldraulic brakes

Wayne looking at United Parts 1934 book it says Durant 1930 -32 the front cable is part number 40534 and rear is 40535
Front cable used by 1930 Oakland, 1930 Pontiac
Rear cable used 1930 Pontiac

Our After Markets This is Leaside but be same for 610, 612, 619. (Fronty E-618, E-670, 685 as indicated in ours)
So different cables front to rear.

IMG

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Thanks for your response, Norm. I have a 1935 parts book that shows basically the same thing as your pic. It does show the list for models 407, 610, 612, 614 and 619. It does show front and rears separately but no part nos. I might pull a drum off my front axle and investigate any differences and see if I could make it work since I'm not likely to find another rear cable lying around. It's too hot (supposed to be 100 tomorrow) to pull it out of the shed this week so will wait til it cools down a bit.

Where Are You From? IA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 model 619

Here's part of the United Parts pages. Yes our aftermarkets US or Can don't give the part number but UP does.

IMG

IMG-0001

Note on the Numerical page it says Car Manufacturer's Number then 5 other makers numbers.
Checking a Repair Parts Part List book effective Jan 1 1930 to June 30 1930 for Durant, Star, and Rugby all models, from Durant Motors 5057 Woodward Ave, those two part numbers are same.

Wayne,

Check with Frank Witkowski many years ago he acquired a large stock of NOS Durant & Star parts, some were brake cables.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremnt, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

The ends to the brake rod and to the backing plate should be the same. The rear brakes will be a little longer, due to the increased travel of the rear suspension. No difference right to left. You could use a rear on the front and just have a bigger "loop' in the flexible portion, but moving a front to back would not be enough for suspension travel. I'll bet new cables have been needed for years across several makes, but I'm not sure where you would go for getting them reproduced.

Where Are You From? orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Many years ago a late friend was working on his 1931 617 Coupe. When he needed to replace a bad brake cable he went to one of the local Boat/Yacht builders and they fabricated one for him. He didn't tell them it was for a car, just needed it for his boat.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant 619

Does anyone know what happened to Reg Bent's part stash? He moved a while back and his collection was sold. He sold me the back brake assembly for my 614 about 20 years ago, but I seem to remember him saying that he had a couple of extras. Maybe an old lead, bit a lead none the less.

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Duraant 614

Another thought is Frank Pringlemeir if he still has the cars and parts in Guelph.
This is Bent's parts 614
Durant-Meet-026

Beside that was piled up frames with cables
Durant-Meet-033

Durant-Meet-034

I took a cable off my spare front axle and guess what? Same length and ends. Prolly a different mfr but sure looks like a fit. It is free, cable slides in the conduit. Only difference is it has a cloth protective cover. Frank is going to check his stash and I’ll keep my eyes and ears open. But I think I have a path to finish. I took a pic of them side by side but I’m not smart enough to upload it here. Got my spare parts from Frank Johnson years ago.

Where Are You From? Durant31@mchsi.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 31 model 619

Wayne,
Feel free to email your pics and I'll be happy to post them for you.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Model 619 and 1929 model 60 Roadster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club