Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RHD Durant in Kenya

Hi,

I am a car restorer based in Nairobi, Kenya and I look after a 40 odd classic car collection.
The latest addition is the only Durant in the country. It's RHD and in running order.
I am not sure of the actual model, as I have been unable to locate a chassis plate yet, only the engine plate 14L-82285.
Its claim to fate, it featured in Out of Africa!
The body appears to be a locally made box body, which was the norm in the 20s and 30s.
I would appreciate any information allowing to date the car as it came without any registration documents.
Sorry, I don't seem to be able to attach photos!

Best regards,

J-P

Where Are You From? Kenya

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: RHD Durant in Kenya

Based on that 14L serial 82285 the engine is out of a 1928 model 55 Durant. However if this is the car the engine does not match the rad shell of the 1926 - 27 Star / Rugby model R. That Packard style rad shell is F, M, R 1924 - 27 Star (Rugby). Engine swapped ? VIN plates are on the firewall in engine compartment.
Since the body molding isn't a continuation of hood / cowl this could be bits and pieces made up to look like a car / truck whatever its suppose to be.

Capture

beigeragtop2

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Yes that's the car. There is no VIN plate on the firewall. The car came with a spare engine block (no cylinder head) so it's very possible that an engine swap took place. I will advise the number of that spare engine after Easter.
The body is a Kenyan made "box body" this was common practice in those days.
The link "how to add pictures" does not work...

Not surprised the add pic's doesn't work as this is a new DMAC site under construction with bits pulled from the old. Number of things aren't there or working. Luckily I was able to find durantcars on another site a few weeks ago before it was moved to DMAC at Terry's death 2012 so have that much to work with.

Your rad shell is same as this 1926 Star R

1926-Star-R

Your car is too far away to see the crest on the rad but I assume its Rugby 6 being an export. That would make it a Model R (Star / Rugby) perhaps late 1927 and appears to have been a closed car orig they removed the sedan body adlibbing the rest as you say.

Crests

For those following this .. the vehicle has fenders / lights / engine / hub caps of a 1928 D55 but rad crest / shell of a 1926 Star and possibly hood / cowl as well. Engine is Leaside plant

Bitsy

Bitsy-2

Vacuum tank ? Carb .. Ford A ?
Bitsy-3

Bitsy-4

Hi,

The spare engine is also a 14 L but earlier, number 57251 from Leaside too

That engine number is for a 1927 model year Star R Aug 1 1926 to July 31 1927. Doesn't change the fact the rad crest is 1926 and fenders / lights / hub caps are 1928 / 29 Durant. Carb is Model A Ford, vacuum tank ? How do you put air in left front tire with no valve stem ?
Something else caught my eye is the spokes are flat in the wheels like they have been adapted from some other vehicle.

Your wheel
Bitsy5

Our spokes are round
Wheel-Star-R

Still think this is made up of various bits of Star, Durant, home made body and other bits like cowl lights, vacuum tank, carb, wheels to make a vehicle for the film. Maybe it was done long ago like the adhoc cars in Argentina, US etc from parts lying around.

Great Detective work Norm! Over the years I'm sure that parts were scavenged from other cars to keep the ole gal running. Still looks pretty good for having what I'm sure is a rough and tough life.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? YES, 1928 Durant Model 65 four door sedan

Mike, I'm reminded of that 1927 Star the lad was looking for info on. Rad shell / crest was Star, nothing else was. Steering wheel and column was 1915 Ford T. Front axle was Ford T but cut where perches are and welded so semi springs could be bolted in the axle. Front wheels were Ford T clincher, rear wheels no one could determine what they were, green touring body off some 1910 - 12 car, bale handled brass headlights even earlier, brass taillight same idea. Engine some German industrial one around 1920. He was unhappy it wasn't a real car but enjoyed it for what it was chugging where he lived and people waving as he passed.

One thing in favor of this one is being in a film and still around to be played with and enjoyed.

In those days people had to make do with whatever they had to work with. It was relatively easy and resulted with a lot of unique vehicles. I don't think it could be done with the cars made today!

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Didn't realize it was that long ago (Dec 3 2010 Rugby 1920 since located in Cyprus in forum) and haven't a pic of front of the car. Engine was Fivet motor reading the string of postings ... Grin Don you said back then ... After poking around the internet for the last couple of days I have come to the conclusion that Fivet Engine Company was completely destroyed in WWI and no indication they ever resumed production afterwards. This info dates the engine to pre 1915 of so.
With this and Norm's findings, I think this is an "assembled car" in the truest sense.

Here's two from Photobucket showing back and steering.

Harris the owner of the vehicle said ... Acetylene lamps made by French Besnard are very ok, bezels are nicely hinged and glass is very clear to see in the photos, originally were fitted with a thick lenses to amplify the light, I have one but I was not able to trace a second to much the original. Tail oil lamp, is English made in 1904.

unknown

Yes Don .. like the Bennett Buggy's Canada or Hoover Buggy's USA. ha ha. Neat thing back then is most parts fit other cars. My bro wanted a cart like thing to move bedding plants on behind his tractor at his nursery. I found a 1929 Chevy frame with front axle / wheels in a gravel pit, so brought axle / springs home. Ford A drums / bearings fit exactly on the Chevy spindles. So cart was Chevy axle / springs and Ford A 21 inch wires for wheels, he built the metal deck / frame. Had that for years. The 1916 490 Chevy pre GM and Ford T had clincher non demountable wheels made by same wheel co. Wheels / bearings fit both makes. Now deceased fellow restored a 1916 490 and I found 4 T wheels in a barn he kept as spares.

True it's not strictly original, but when you are thousands of miles away from the nearest Durant spare parts shop, that's only expected. The majority of surviving vintage cars here are Ford Model As and frankly I find the Durant vastly more interesting, most car enthusiasts don't even know this marque existed!
No attempt will be made to bring it back to original, it is what it is and that's the result of this particular car's history.
Regarding the front wheel with a very short valve stem, no you cannot put air in it! Nobody mentioned it, but the rear tyres are oversize 600-19 and the spare is a tractor front tyre. All 5 will be replaced by the correct 475/500-19, I only need to order long valve stem tubes. I managed to source and acquire on eBay the split rim collapsing tool so changing tyres should be OK. I guess I am 1 of not many people in Kenya who know how to do this!

J.P. has sent me this email .. can anyone help him ?

Hi Norm,

I have fitted new Lucas tyres to the car and discovered one of the rims has been badly butchered and is unusable.

Could you supply a rim, 2 wheel nuts and one spacer between wheel nut and the rim, or could you advise who possibly could?

J-P

20230510-130511

The Durant Motors Automobile Club