Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Doctor's Coupe

This Durant is gorgeous. Question for my Durant experts: Did Billy sell cars painted red?

Where Are You From? Orange, New Jersey 07050

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star Six Model R Coupe

As far as I know the only cars I've seen called doctors coupes were Model T Fords, and Ford didn't have such a model. I've seen many cars with flattering names put on them by the public which were not factory models. One example of this is the "Cord convertible coupe" which somehow picked up the name "Sportsman". Curt

Where Are You From? Denver

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star m 4dr sedan

Thank you Rick. This car is a Coupe not modified 2 door sedan. It's in both Registry's NE-6340 with engine serial 124600. It was orig green with black fenders, owned by Rev Willard Hurlburt of Union Springs Al.
It's a 1923 Model Year A22 built between Dec 23 1922 to July 31 1923. vins E-1 to E-8462

As you can see in this A22 brochure on eBay it was four or two passenger for professional or business use.

s-l1600

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Thank you for the info sir! So it is a post production modified model than of the coupe? Also what would value this car at if you don’t mind me asking

Where Are You From? Dothan AL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

Hemp
A very nice car and would be a great addition to anyone's collection. Looks like it's in great shape and taken car of. Does it run? Have you driven it? After reviewing the pictures I agree with Norm that it is not modified. It is a coupe. What is he asking for it? As past President along with Rick, you get many emails from people inheriting these Durant products from relatives and always want a value on it. I and others usually posted a response that "It's worth what ever anyone is willing to pay for it". The market for our cars is limited to those that are fascinated and love the 1920's and early 30's. Most people today prefer the era of cars they grew up in. So you have the 50's, 60's and 70's and most of the people prefer the "muscle car" era since that is the age group that is baby boomers are today. The car in all probability a 4 cylinder which limits it's speed on modern highways but that doesn't mean these cars are not a lot of fun to drive and show off. If you take the plunge and purchase this car the first thing you have to do is join the Durant club. It's a great club and more of a family than a car club. There are a number of meets in the U.S. and hopefully Canada again soon. Tours are conducted in these cars and you won't have more fun anywhere than we all do when we get together. The DMAC publishes an excellent magazine quarterly too with a wealth of historical stories, restoration tips and parts for sale.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? YES, 1928 Durant Model 65 four door sedan

Thank you Mike for the reply. Yes it does run. My cousin is being paid for ongoing maintenance on this ladies collection. Her husband passed and she is moving most of their collection. Until last week, I didn’t know what a Durant was but I have an interest for sure purchasing this Durant. She’s asking 17,500 for it. I have no knowledge on these but with my cousins help, and the internet, I can learn for ongoing maintenance.

Where Are You From? Dothan AL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet

I am sure this is a 1923 "4 passenger coupe", I have always called them an opera coupe rather than a doctors coupe....Their is just enough room to squeak 4 passengers inside.....The driver left front and perhaps a child on the jump seat right front and in the back a 3/4 bench seat for perhaps two adult....In the "oprea coupe" mode when off to the opera you would have the shuffer driving with the lady in the back with her big opera dress and the jump seat would be let down for more room, there should be a hat box just behind the drivers seat...Anyway, there was no leg room behind the drivers seat was the reason for the built in hat box with the three quarter bench seat in the back....I own a 1923 Hupmobile Opera coupe which I restored a few years back...I even added them there fancy flower vases in the back.

Take care

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Checking online I see under history of PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH UNION SPRINGS, ALABAMA, Rev. Willard B. Hurlburt served there 1975-1984. Alway nice to have the history of a car if you can find it.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Re: Doctor's Coupe - Price OK?

Hamp,

I don't think $17,500 is out of range. If you went with $15K in cash she would probably accept it. Figure it this way. You apparently like the car. You could go on a two week exotic vacation in Europe for the same money and get two weeks of memories. Or you could purchase this Coupe, touch it, Drive it, Go to car shows, and keep it for a lifetime of memories!

It will probably not go up in value in the coming years so don't buy it for investment. Life is too short so have the memories instead!

Good Luck!

Bill

Where Are You From? Indiana

After doing some more research, it appears that the term "coupe" can refer to any body style and, number of doors, the manufacturer cares to apply.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The reverend Hurlburt was at the first Durant meet in Dearborn Michigan in 1981. I seem to remember him as being colorful in the best Southern preacher tradition. Nice car, price does not seem out of line.

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club