Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Engine and chassis no

Hi Everyone
Can anybody help where can i find the engine and chassis number on my 1929 Durant?

Where Are You From? Budapest Hungary

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Engine and chassis no

There is a serial plate on the engine, under manifold. VIN Plate is on the firewall in engine compartment right side. This will give you the model, alpha / numeric vin, and plant where made.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

What do you do when both serial numbers are missing?

Where Are You From? New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I assume NZ MOT will have to provide a replacement vin number. Have you posted this question in the Facebook OZ or Rugby sites ?

DURANT CARS OF AUSTRALASIA
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2119917531454994

Rugby, Star , Durant Motor Vehicles
https://www.facebook.com/groups/646971428681381

Are there no ownership papers to give a clue what model and year ? Being New Zealand I assume its a Rugby if a 4 or 6 cyl Star, or a 4 cyl Durant after April 1 1928 and up. 6 cyl Durant Jan 1 1928 and up are Durant. 4 cyl Durant 1921 to 1926 are Durant. On exports. The plant name would be on the vin plate but that would also be part of the vin with the first alpha before vin number of C (Oakland), E (Elizabeth), L (Lansing), T (Toronto).

Engine type as shown on the casting W4A, W5A etc and casting date might also help but casting dates are not always in same year. As example the 1930 614 came out Jan 4 1930 but engine casting dates can be Oct and up 1929. Engines were cast week's before being shipped to the plants to be used in vehicles. Then with our Dominion Motors vehicles we used up 22A engine's in our 1932 Durant / Frontenac cars and you won't find a 22A cast after 1931. My 32 614 head is April 13 1931 and block is May 13 1931. 1932 model year 614 is Feb 1st 1932 and starts with J 5035 .. J 5090 coupe exists and my J 5222 sedan. No one knows how many 1932 614 were made to give an idea of possible time frame in 1932 before they stopped Durant in 1932. Only the Rugby trucks and Frontenac cars went to end of 1933 before all stopped.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

The Durant Motors Automobile Club