Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Star W4 Exhaust Manifold

Here's something many of us may have come across concerning the exhaust manifold without the castellated gland nut. How is the exhaust pipe secured in the manifold?

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Re: Star W4 Exhaust Manifold

Duct tape, just ask Red Green .. sorry Don the devil made me say it. :joy:

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

I'm aware of Red Green! The connection is very effective!

I am well aware of the nut so I tapped it with a hammer and it broke into 6 parts and did not come loose. Back to the drawing board.

Where Are You From? Utah

Do You own a car built by Durant? '29 M4

Don, their is an old listing on ebay "Durant Star 4 cylinder engine"...The engine appears to have a rear dump manifold that has an unusual header pipe connection, or possiably an old Route 66 repair?...The exhaust outlet does appear to be internaly threaded...What are we looking at here?... I see this engine has the 2 plates on the right side of the block rather than soft plugs, I am wondering if this is unique to the star M-2 or just early W-4, W-5 engines? This engine looks like the engine that came in my M-2 Star chassis but without the rear dump manifold.

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

eBay 133942145662 serial 376487 is out of a 1926 M Star.
Interesting to note even back then it doesn't give a casting date just 9 D O meaning ? Sept Day ? Year ?
Aren't all the exhausts 4 or 6 cyl pre 1930 with the castellated nut screwed into the opening. Pic's of 6's show the castellated nuts 14L, 15L. Leaside aftermarkets only say Exhaust Manifold to Exhaust pipe packing nut 65 cents, US aftermarkets say nothing.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

I have about 30 four cylinder engines and it is my observation that 1922-24 Stars used the W4 with round plugs in the water jacket and a slip fit, rear dump manifold. The 25-early 27 used the W5 with bolted plates on the water jacket and a rear dump manifold with threaded jam nut. Later 27 Stars went to rubber engine mounts, side mount steering box, and a front dump manifold with threaded jam nut. About when Durant started production again they used the W5 and reverted back to round water jacket plugs, and front dump manifold with threaded jam nut.

Where Are You From? Texas

The Durant Motors Automobile Club