Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joining split rims

Hi
I have the original split rims for my 1928 Rugby/Durant but I notice all the joining tabs that hold the 2 ends of the split together are butchered in one way or other.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on a modern day design I could apply to my rims. In fact, I have been advised to get new rims, which I can source in NZ, but they supply them with no joining tabs. I have to make them. Hence my enquiry.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Duncan

Where Are You From? New Zealand

Re: Joining split rims

Duncan- Are you using the Kelsey-Hayes rims? The rims for my wood wheel 6-14 are K-H 4 inch wide 19inch rims using 4 lugs bolts. A friend is making the "hasp" that joints the two rims as we speak for some spare rims I'm fixing (eventual sandblasting and powdercoating a semi-gloss black). The hasp he is making is just like the original except we decided to move the rivet points farther away from the split, as one of the originals had ripped out (and needing welding). These hasps have one side having one "finger"with the finger fitting into the other hasp with two fingers, held together by a small pin driven through. These are riveted to the rim. If this is what you need I can get him to make some extras, and you'll need to rivet them on yourself. I can get a picture if you need to see this. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Thanks Ross
I have seen a picture of what you are talking about.
What do you think the joiners will cost?
Duncan

Where Are You From? New Zealand

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

How many sets do you think you would want?

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club