Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Old Continental engine

As always...Thanks for your feedback,

Won't feel so bad "breaking" this thing...(it's giving it's body to science)

Norm as usual is a veritable encyclopedia...

Will be gutting it shortly!

Stephan

Where Are You From? Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant 614

Re: Old Continental engine

Hi Stephan .. back in 1962 I bought my first 1930 614 sedan and I think 1963 or 64 I bought a 1929 Durant 40 sedan in Vanier because the tires / tubes were brand new. The gas station owner sold the car to some rodder's but didn't pay for it. So I tracked the car down and by then they have made a mess of the body still on the frame. Before they did any damage to the tires I removed the tires and rims and made arrangements with a tow service to bring it to my home. The rodders filled the body with 50's sheet metal unknown to me until it arrived. This bright bulb tow service didn't put the rear wheels on dolly wheels and dragged the car to my place. You could follow the rear rim ruts in the various roads asphalt all the way back to where he picked it up. Wheels useless after that. I got rid of the scrap and Durant body / fenders and took the chassis to Ridgemont High School where a lot of it was going to be used as a learning tool how an engine worked in the Auto shop, I think the tranny was taken apart to be used in the Drafting shop how to draft those parts. So somewhat like your engine is a learning tool, a good portion of the 40 was also.
I think when Claude Lavoie bought my old 30 from Scott Macdonald those tires / tubes were still on it.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

The Durant Motors Automobile Club