Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
battery?

What could one expect if they are charging a 12 volt battery with 6 volts?

Where Are You From? Tucson, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? a few

Re: battery?

Bob- If you are talking about using your standard 6volt generator to charge a 12 volt battery that I assume you want to use for increased starter cranking power? I've always heard that the 6volt starter can handle the 12volts, but you would need to have a regulator for the ignition circuit and the generator. You know you can have your 6 volt generator converted to an alternator for the same outward look. Also can change to electronic ignition (see a previous Durant Standard article by Phil Peters)

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: battery?

I don't believe it would charge. It may even discharge the battery, overheat the generator or worse. A 12 volt battery requires 13 or more volts to charge.

However, I have been told that our 6 volt generators can be adjusted to put out a higher voltage.

An interim step would be to use an 8 volt battery and see if the generator can be adjusted to charge that. I run an 8 volt battery in my Model T

Regards,
Vince

Where Are You From? North of Golden Gate Bridge

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club