Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
bendix brakes

We have 4 wheel bendix brakes(Simple cam design) and they generally call them, 11 inch.

Well we measured ours and they are 10 5/8 inch inside diameter. we purchased 3/16 brake material as quoted on this forum. The problem is, they do not fit inside the drum and not just a little, but a lot?

Has anyone else seen this problem, buying new material smaller than 3/16 would seem to be very hard to rivet?

we also adjusted the cam, so it was not opening the shoes, but there is material on the cam itself, which does put a little pressure on the shoe?

thanks

Bill Durant

Where Are You From? Wisconsin

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 star roadster with a 1929, 6 cylinder engine

Re: bendix brakes

Hi William.

I relined the brakes on my 1930 614 2 years ago and ran into the same problem. It has the 2 shoe Steeldraulic brakes. I had new technology racing material riveted to the shoes by a company in California that specializes in racing applications.

In addition to the cam, there is also a second post on the backing plate. I found that I had to loosen the retaining nut on the back of the post to free up clearance. I was also careful to place the correct shoe in the proper orientation. It was a very close fit at best, but the improvement in braking with the high tech lining is impressive!

IMG-0210

upload pic

Where Are You From? WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, several

Re: bendix brakes

we have the older series of bendix brakes with three shoes, my question is how thick is the material did you have on your new riveted brakes>

we started with 3/16, but does not fit as discussed, i will look in back for an additional adjustment to give more room

thanks

bill durant

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 star roadster with a 1929, 6 cylinder engine

The Durant Motors Automobile Club