Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: new editor in town

Hello everyone!

Thanks to Bob for the introduction.

I spent this weekend in California visiting my son for his 17th birthday, so I haven't had a chance to get back in touch. I stayed on the family's balcony for the most part and had to shuttle between Yuma and San Diego as there are major restrictions on who can rent a hotel room in Cali right now. Quite complicated! But a good and, most importantly, safe visit.

I'd like to note that my busiest day of the week is always Friday, so you may anticipate I may not get back to you right away if you reach out that day. I'll do my best.

I've spent the last few weeks reading older and the most recent edition of the Durant Partner. There's quite a history there, and I found it all fascinating. I'm excited to take on these new editing duties.

A little background on me- I was born and raised mostly in Flint, Michigan. I also lived for many years in Eastern Ohio near Youngstown, on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, and for 12 years most recently in suburban Maryland outside of Washington DC. I earned my Bachelors from the University of Michigan-Flint with a focus on English. I was a freelance entertainment writer for the Flint Journal for ten years. I then went to work in public health communications for the National Institutes of Health. I specifically worked at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) for much of my career. Since you've seen him in the news, Dr. Fauci heads NIAID, but I've only interacted with him perhaps three times. I can't claim to know him.

I decided to move west in 2018 in order to see my son more easily. I was a background actor in LA for several months, which was quite fun! I'm now working a writing contract for a global bank in Phoenix.

I have not always been great about email, but this new editing job will require that I check it much more regularly. I promise to check my mail daily and drop into this forum regularly.

Again, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and to delivering the next edition of the Partner. All the best to you.

- Shawn Humphrey

Where Are You From? Phoenix

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Thanks for taking over as newsletter editor. It is vital for our club to have this quarterly communication, as it probably the only way a lot of members are able to interact with the club.That's great you were born in Flint Michigan-Durant's "ancestral" home. Maybe a story on how Durant is remembered in Flint? Again,thanks for taking this over and now you probably need us to send in our stories and tips. I might have something that I can write down about my first Durant meet with member Jim Colbert held in Dearborn Michigan in 1981. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Hi Ross- that would be a great article! When you have it written and ready, just shoot me an email. If you could put the word "Durant" in the subject line, that would help me a great deal.

I like your proposed idea on a story regarding how Durant is remembered in Flint. I could write that.

Members, please do continue to propose stories. If you want to propose more ideas and want to do so privately, just email me with "Durant" in the subject line.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading your stories!

- Shawn

Where Are You From? Flint

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

The Durant Motors Automobile Club