Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ammeter

My ammeter stopped registering. Stuck in the middle. Car runs and starts. I've never had this kind of problem. So where should I start to find and fix the problem?

Where Are You From? North of Golden Gate Bridge

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Re: Ammeter

Ammeter will read zero when the ignition is off of course, when on should show deflection to negative and if you can't see anything switch on the headlights and you should see a much bigger deflection. If nothing then ammeter is not working, so see if it's a mechanical problem with the gauge or connections. I looks okay get out your multimeter and see if the gauge is working electrically. I guess you might have to take the gauge out of the dash to access the connections.If nothing with your tests, then you need a new ammeter or get yours repaired by one of the several companies found on the internet. It seems like ammeters are the first gauges to go in an old car( well for an almost hundred year old car). I think ammeters fell out of favor in dashboards(along with a lot of other gauges), because you do have all the "juice" of the car running through them. Some people favored voltmeters for this reason.

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club