Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
This wheel is driving me crazy.

I repaired a flat and although I have been able to finish this up in the past, today seems to be different.
You see I cannot get the rim to expand the last ¼” so the two ends of the wheel mate.
I hope I don’t have to remove the rim and figure some way to expand it and then try putting everything back together.

Got any shortcuts, ideas or tool suggestions?

Rick Botti

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Re: This wheel is driving me crazy.

You not have a rim spreader to work with these split rims ? Perhaps not when your 29 has wire wheels. Careful not to over crank and oval the rim to ruin it. I used to have 19 & 21 inch rim spreaders when I had the 1930 614 in the 60's. Pretty much standard equipment for owners of vehicles with split rims.
There's several on eBay presently.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Yup you need a rim spreader, so beg ,borrow or steal one. Then contact Norm again and he will tell you how to place the legs so as not to damage the rim.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? 30 Durant & others

ha ha used it on both 30 D and the 31 Chevy canopy express truck.

https://forums.aaca.org/topic/193307-using-a-rim-spreader-to-mounting-tire/

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

Rick, I had the same problem when I installed the tires on my '26. An electrician friend of mine turned me on to a lubricant he uses to pull wires through long runs of conduit. Its so slick you can't hold onto the squirt bottle if you get it on your hands. Apply generously to the bead of the tire and try again, You'll be shocked.

Where Are You From? denver

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star m 4dr sedan

If I understand your question, you need to spread the rim not squeeze it with a rim spreader. I used a hydraulic jack and a block of wood to push the ends apart. If the split is at 12 o'clock, postion the jack and block between 9 and 3 o'clock. I also used this method to make the rim round.

Where Are You From? North of Golden Gate Bridge

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

The Durant Motors Automobile Club