Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1928 Star engine

Thanks for the information. The bolt was indeed left hand with a very large hex head (1 3/4").

Would you know if I can slide the engine with clutch intact straight off the transmission spline shaft, leaving the transmission in the car while removing the engine? Thanks again

Where Are You From? Lincolnton, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

All this is leaving me but the 14L does have an open bell housing, I am thinkin that I would start by remove the wobble joint/shaft...How about it Don.

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Since the flywheel is located on the rear side of the cross member you will have to remove the transmission/engine coupling, clutch, and flywheel before removing the engine.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Yes, now I remember, thanks Don....As I recall I would center punch the end of one flywheel studd and also put a punch mark on the flywheel directly above that studd for a quick reference in reinstalling the flywheel.

Where Are You From? Yuma,AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Thanks again for the information, I'll let you know how it goes. Unfortunately this engine was left with a blown head gasket for months and is now stuck tight. Pulled the head and found corrosion and rust in the cylinder walls.
Any idea if oversize pistons are available for this 14L engine ?

Where Are You From? Lincolnton, NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

The Durant Motors Automobile Club