Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1930 Durant 617 Sedan with 15U Continental

The wife and I started on the wood wheels. We removed the paint someone had put on in the 60's by using a heat gun and a scraper. Just a few seconds of heat and the paint bubbled and scraped off like butter! We then sanded them with 320 grit paper. We applied 3 coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane in a gloss clear, allowing 6 hours of dry time and sanding between coats. one or two spokes on the passenger rear wheel were questionable, after further inspection I determined there is definitely enough meat there at the moment. I will now prep the metal of the wheels and paint with a 2k Urethane Base and High Image Clear from Nason. We are currently looking at tires and I've come up with 4.75/5.00-19 as the recommended size prior to 31? Looks like 31 on had the bigger tires from the factory? I'm REALLY loving the look of the Firestone White Walls from Coker.

20200415-183558
20200423-152138
20200423-213626
20200424-233953
20200424-134130

Where Are You From? Argo, Al.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-17

1931 and prior were the 4:75/5:00 x 19. 1932 only were the 5:25/5:50 x 19 on Durant except the 618 which could be 18 or 19 inch. 1932 Frontenac E 670 5:25/5:50 x 18.
Queensway Tire in Simcoe Ont has the original tire books which verifies various tires used on our vehicles. They are also a Coker outlet.

Lester / Lucas are other tire outlets carrying the 19's black / white walls.

The 617 had its own wood spoke wheels.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

I appreciate the info Norman, that's a good price difference in tires! I'm sure I'll still be over 1k in tires, tubes, and protectors when it's all said and done! I'm also on the lookout for some fender lights and hood handles and locks. Mine was missing them all when purchased.

Where Are You From? Argo, AL

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 6-17

Don't you also need the twin bar bumpers and medallions of the 1930 / 31 D's and lose the 1931 619 bumper that was on it. Another bit you might not know is the backing bars are identical 1930 - 32 for twin bar or single bar. Discovered that by accident talking to Jack working on his 1932 614 coupe and he looking for the backing bars, I said see what the 1930 coupe ones are like you have. Identical.

Fender lights are one of the most illusive things to find and are left or right with the spear foot under them. Those lights were used on Special and Deluxe models which make them even harder to find. Not well made and barn find cars usually only have the light stumps without the pots. The 1931 614 near here the pots are leaning backwards. One of mine has a ton of solder trying to hold the pot on, the other pot I found in back of the car again full of solder with 1931 Chev door and lense. I have since found a cracked door to replace the Chev one. What's that now ? got the 614 in 2006 and still looking for fender lights. Only seen one on eBay and a second one on a rusty front fender on eBay the seller wouldn't just sell me the light off of. The lenses are about as hard to find Depress Beam 3 x 2 3/4 #1179. Looked for years to find lights or lenses. Fluke one day I was going through lenses on eBay and one looked familiar but info was off. Looked more into it and seller was selling 8 pairs of the lenses NOS and wasn't the number 1179. Sure bought a pair off him.

Corey- Running gear looks great. Your starting frame looked to be in excellent shape. I don't think my neighbors would like me sandblasting my car in my driveway! When I sandblasted the body on my car(I used beach sand and attacked it at an angle, although I don't think you have to worry about warpage with the metal on our cars), the cloud of sand drifted quite a distance.It was at my friend's shop in a rural area and I think some cows got dusty. Neil Butters company noted earlier in this thread should have the patterns for the fender lights and lenses from the late Harvey Frid's moulds. Not sure he reproduces them at this time. I've got a full set of wood spokes that were takeoffs from my 6-14 that are in good shape but I see your hubs have 8 bolts and mine have five. Guess the 6-17 is more "heavy duty" than my puny 6-14. I've got a spare twin bar front bumper that is just like the one on my 6-14 in size. The main back bar is not the same, but Norm says the one you have may be the correct type on the bumper you have. I think I've even got a spare Durant shield type clamp. I've got one hood hold down catch but not the receiver that is riveted to the hood.(If it's the same as a 6-14). The handles on the hood itself look like kitchen hardware.Man,you are tearing into this project, but I see you have an apprentice.Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Yeppers Ross. The 617 is an animal of itself. Wheels its own, rear axle shafts its own, wheel bearings 70, 75 and 617, rad its own, rad hose its own, fan belt its own, steering wheel its own, pitman arm its own, steering knuckle left / right and arm 70, 75, 401, 617. drag link 617, 618. Differential case 70, 75, 617. Bevel Ring gear / drive and pinion 617. Front spring 617. Just look at our aftermarkets to see. Even the headlights it has 617 has it own separate to the info on 65, 70, 75. Now those three can use 10 1/8 Twilite lense part 41118 same as 617 but there must be some difference to head light door as 617 is 41113 and the 3 can be 27113 or 24975.
Hood and hood latches are not mentioned in the aftermarkets for 617. Hood latches for E, 406, 407, 416, 610, 611, 612, 614, 615, 616, 618, 619, 670 45 cents. Must be some difference if both hood and latches not mentioned.

That's great info Norm! At the moment I may just stick with the 619 bumper. I am saving all the other info you gave though, that's a huge help to seeing what I can cross to other cars in case I need those parts in the future. I'm still trying to get that rear main filler block as well. Alot of dough for that little piece of metal.

Ross,
Luckily my neighbors are great and none of that ended up over there haha. My apprentice has been a great help with the car. I'm just glad I married a hot female version of myself!Just out of curiosity, what would you be asking for that spare split bumper and hood clasp?

Corey- I'd want $50.00 for the bumper(it needs rechroming) and I'll send you the hood clasp for the cost of one of those USPS envelopes. The big problem is the shipping costs on that heavy bumper. A couple of years ago I shipped a similar part to Georgia(it was lighter) and it was over $300.00. I think several cars used this style of bumper(Mopar?), so you might be on the lookout. Check out the bumper on Rosie Larson's beautiful 6-17 in the photograph section. That car was a no expense spared restoration(and I mean$$$$). Ross

That's definitely a fair price Ross. I'm sure shipping is going to be a bear. I've been trying to get back into the restoration section of the site for months. Is it down? The links dont seem to load anymore.

The photograph section on the left side of this page is working for me. And that's about all I know about websites.

The restoration section is located under Projects. Go to Photographs > Projects
If the link doesn't work, right click and select open in a new window.

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Good morning all! Still tooling away on the 617. Do any of the veterans here know if the 617 has any interchange as far as cowl panels? The only rust I ran into was the passenger lower front cowl. Instead of tooling a new one I was hoping to speed the project up by just buying a patch panel from another maker if it interchanges. Anyone know? Also what interchange books are out there to recommend? Thanks!

Where Are You From? Alabama

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 617

Check out Chilton's Automotive Multiguide (spring 1931) for interchanges. These were reproduced in a large quanity several years ago are are easily available (usually about 10-20 bucks). The lower cowl sections will most often be rusted in all our cars where the wooden sill members are bolted/nailed. I had to remake these areas on my car and weld in sections. No interchanges with anything except other Durants, which doesn't help one bit.

Far as I know the 1930's have same bodies, 1931 / 32 have the chromed cowl band the 30 didn't. 617 is a sort of half and half Durant, chassis of the 29 but body of the 30.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

The Durant Motors Automobile Club