Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1931 (wood wheel) DeVaux.!!

Gary- Rarest of the rare! I think most cars of the time had wood wheels as standard, and wire or steel as options? Wood wheels lasted until probably 1936, as loads and torque went up and roads were better. Wood wheels flexed better on the roads of the day. Today's spokes are made of hickory(as they were back in the day) and ideally dried to 6% moisture. They should last many years if made properly. Calimer's wheel shop in PA makes wood spokes these days for about $300.00 per wheel. I like the look of my 6-14 with the wood wheels which were done many years ago by a local craftsman (Jim Kanne). Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Hi Ross:
You know I had to get back to your entry. I don't think I said "rarest of the rare" but in a way it is....to me. (ha). Ever since I got a copy of the DeVaux Registry from Mike Larsen (33 years ago and got hooked on the DeVaux, I have only seen two with the notation "Wood wheels". When a new owner bought his car a upgrade to wire wheels was only $2.50. (Got this from Howard Reinke.)
This car in Canada seems to a "plain Jane" right off the floor.
I would just like it to be in the Club. I do have a club member interested in it. I just contacted the shipper in Toronto, and they do all the paperwork to bring it down. It was easy when I brought the 33.
I do need someone to go look at it. I am not sure he has pictures of what condition it is now. I could hire someone....we will see.

Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Only good memories

Hi Gary:
That wood Wheel Devaux that you are referring to was owned by Willis (Porky_) Schneider of Kitchener. He was the second owner of that vehicle and he knew it for a long time before he purchased it in the late 40's .
He brought it to our Durant meet when we had it in Fremont, Nebraska. That year we had 7 DeVaux's on tour. He trailered it to Nebraska, and I drove my Frontenac. That was a great meet.
That DeVaux has never been restored, just kept up over the years. The last few years, Porky drove it on 5 cylenders and it seemed to run OK. I don't believe that the chap who bought it at Porky's sale has ever driven it. I tried to get him to come out to some of our Durant meets but he never responded.
I do hope someone in the club purchases the car. Any idea what he is asking for it?

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Limited, Leaside, On tario

The Durant Motors Automobile Club