Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Steeldraulic Brakes

Yeah,Bill I was wondering how that was going to work with taking out just enough of these new bands to get a shrink fit on my drums without some machine work to make them round again after you have taken out this precise amount and welded everything back together. My machinist friend is good (part time race car mechanic and fabricator), but it will involve some head scratching. But thanks for the info on what you came up with. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Re: Steeldraulic Breaks

If you can send me that info you have on Steeldraulic brakes, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

—Roger

Where Are You From? Scranton, Pa.

I would like a copy Frank , thank you.
Jack Wright

Where Are You From? Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 standard sedan

If anyone else would like a copy I can email you a scan from the service manual.
Send me an email and I will reply with the scan attached.
Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? too many

I would very much like to have the info on Steeldyraulic brake thanks

Where Are You From? ithaca ny

Do You own a car built by Durant? 614 durant ,locomobile jr 8

Ross:
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. As you know the bands are too big, I sent mine back and worked on adjusting the breaks to function better. I looked into making some bands to the proper size but the cost was to high. So my solution is defensive driving, down shift early and stay away from steep hills.
Merry Christmas - DJ

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, California

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant deluxe Sedan

Your forgot to add Cross you fingers and pray as with most Durant/Star braking systems in todays world

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

I would like to get those 10 pages about Steeldraulics that you offered. Call me if you would, to get address and I will pay for mailing costs, etc. 727-327-5717 TYhanks, Ross Nelson

Where Are You From? St. Pete, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1930 Durant 614

Ross, I emailed you the brake info. Hope that helps, Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown, PA

Do You own a car built by Durant? many

Frank
I would love a copy of the replacement brakes / adj.

Where Are You From? Salem, VA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

If you can mail a copy it will be appreciated. Thanks Alan

Where Are You From? UK

Do You own a car built by Durant? YES a D40

Alan I believe you have a Durant D60 series 2 touring with 14L 6 cyl from Africa with a vin plate off a Rugby D40 which is 4 cyl with W5A. The D60 does not have steeldraulic brakes. Those are used on 1930 - 32 Durant car, 1930 - 1933 Rugby truck and 1931 / 32 Frontenac.
The 60 has Four-wheel Bendix mechanical, internal expanding, self-energizing shoe type; 11" brake drums. Easy adjustment.

More info can be found here on your D60. This durantcar used to be on DMAC but luckily the waybackmachine site captured it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20121214011622/http://www.durantcars.com/catalogs/durant/29m60.shtml

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ontario Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan made by Dominion Motors

The Durant Motors Automobile Club