Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: On-line Auction

I rechecked my engine collection and, yes, the later Durant W5's reverted back to the round core plugs. It would seem only the Stars (25-28) used W5's with 6 stud plates.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant sold for...$2,250.00
The Gray sold for $1,200.00
And the 1930 Indian Motorcycle (4 cylinder) brought a whoppin $42,000.00

Anyone in the club buy anything?

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

I am new to your forum and ended up purchasing the Durant in Desert Center, just got it home a couple hours ago.

I was looking for a Hot/Rat Rod candidate or a specimen for yard art, but this cars seems too complete to cut up or leave outside though... It came with paperwork from two previous owners stating that is has been stored inside since 1950 in Blythe and has been parked inside at Desert Center since 1990.

I'm not sure if I overpaid or got a good deal, but I really like the look of the car. I also don't know whether to do a partial restoration, cut it up and hot rod it, send it to ebay, or let it sit and look cool as it is... any suggestions?

All of the wood likely needs replaced, the body seems straight with very minimal rust, wheels are in good shape... Don't really know what I got into this time LOL.

I appreciate any info/suggestions.

-Daniel

Where Are You From? Arizona

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

You might settle the question of what the VIN plate says as model, vin, and plant. Actually the letter in the vin will give us the plant.
Most of us are against destroying an existing car and as you noted its very complete.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

This is not going to be something that you put new tires on, replace the windshield and drive(hopefully the cylinder head is somewhere in the car and is usable). It is too good to just part out. Restoring this will not be easy or cheap(even if you can do a lot yourself). Is it even popular to hotrod cars this old and "upright"? Your price was reasonable for this car, but I doubt you will get much more anywhere. I think you should restore it because you want the challenge! This forum and the knowledge you have access to with its members is invaluable. This club is having a national meet next September in Clackamas Oregon which should inspire you, whether you bring a car or not. Jump in!

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Hi Daniel,

Congratulations on your purchase...The car looks to be complete right down to the robe rail...Good streight metal and good wheels, The doors look to be in fair alignment so their could be a chance that the wood is limited to the roof structure??....So my suggestion would be to join this great club, roll up your sleeves and go for a simple restoration...19" Tires are cheap (same size as model A) Between Bert and Don they must have 100 W-5 engines, I am sure they wouldn't miss one...I have a fair amount of parts as well...Here in the Southwest chroming is not that expensive...On the upholstery you can farm the seats out and you could possiably do the pannels and headliner yourself...I say go for it Daniel....Where in AZ are you located?...I will be doing some wood work on a '32 Devaux this winter, we have a large shop out in the middle of a lettuce patch in Dome Valley, just east of Yuma.

Oh, and the only hot rodding that you would need would be to mill about a 1/4" off of the head of that W-5 engine.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

I am in Kingman, Az
It sounds like I may go ahead and do some restoration work, I have to say I'm really in love with the patina so maybe a partial restoration... Get it drivable and reliable. It would be neat to have in the garage as something to Tinker with in my spare time.
I'll go try to find the VIN plate tonight after work and post the numbers maybe we can narrow down some more info.

No luck on the vin tag, looks like it may have been removed when the heater was installed... the head is in the back of the car, along with the Pistons and connecting rods.

Pistons look pretty rough, very pitted and maybe corroded. The intake and exhaust valves are removed from the Block, hopefully they are in the car.

I will go through it this weekend and start cleaning it up and seeing what is buried in there, did see what looks like maybe an original Jack on the floorboard.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club