Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Valve Spring removal on a W5

Hi Don and thanks for the help. I.ve got a OHV compressor on order and coming in the mail. Hopefully I don't have to remove the exhaust manifold but I'f I do ,I Do . All of this is a hard knock lesson that an 81 year old shouldn't make. BUT, I did . Reusing a head gasket to save a $107.00. An old friend told me I could boil the old gasket to swell up the felt between the two brass layers and then let it dry real good and it would be fine. DID NOT WORK !! This let water into the #2 & #3 pistons and down the valve stem and I didn't get back to the engine for a couple 3 or 4 months and all the rust built up in between time. Hope to have it running by annual meeting time. Dave

Where Are You From? Custer, S.Dakota

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes a 1927 Star Touring

Re: Valve Spring removal on a W5

Dave
You seem to have a good handle on what you are up against. With a month before the Annual Meet hopefully you'll have it up and running. I'm looking forward to meeting you. Bob

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club