Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Continental 15L engine restoration for my Model 65

Mike, I was thinking about your need to get your engine completed the other day while speaking with one of the Franklin guys. We were discussing the recent babbitt work done on his rebuild and it reminded me. Many of the Franklins have done away with sending their blocks out of state for babbitt work. They have now had their blocks line bored at local shops, which is a more common procedure. They bore over the size to fit brass sleeve inserts. They then send out a small box full of these sleeves to have Babbitt work rather than an entire block. Many have been done this way with excellent results. This allows a somewhat serviceable bearing from that point on. It may be work considering. I will see what I can find on newsletters that elaborate on this process.

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Re: Continental 15L engine restoration for my Model 65

I know that the 6-W continental (1925 model-40 Flint has a poured in block babbit main bearing) but I was thinking that the 14L and 15L engines already had the thick bronze shells that you would send out to get them babbited and the rods would need to be sent out as well...The person doing the babbit work would pour the rods then machine /cut the babbited rod to your crank journal size...Your machine shop would then install the main bearing caps only in the block then hang/setup his line boring tool on the block and align onto your block way, then install the babbited shells with bearing caps then line bore bearings to your crankshaft specs...And being certain to allow for proper oil clearance..(right Rick) I have two of these old line boring tools in wood crates in my shop that have been threw two floods, I am afraid to open the crates to see how rusty that they are...The last time one of them was used was about 40 years ago when I and by brother line bored my '31 Chrysler....It could be that machine shops have more modern tecniques in line boring today..

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club