Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1932 DeVaux Sedan

Hi Dave: Glad to see your post. All my records are boxed up and at my daughters house. Are you still looking for those items for the 31 coupe?

Next time you go to your 32 coupe would you take a look at the taillight assembly and the shape of the back bumper? Does it have a double medalion? Measure to see if the frame horns in the rear are different measurements on a 31 from a 32?. I have asked Robin to have his brother send up pictures of his Custom. Bill and you have standard and the convert. is a custom..

Also, does your hood have pull downs (to lock it in place) like the 31.s?
Thanks, Gary

Where Are You From? Washington State

Do You own a car built by Durant? Only good memories

Glad to hear from you Gary, I’ve got the sun visor squared away but still need the side mount hardware and the trunk rack,the 32 standard is a different animal than the 31,the hood has no latches or pull downs just a handle close to the bottom and midway back,the instrument cluster has round black faces gauges,the taillightisthestandard naco stimsonite,but the Brkt is completely different from the 31,the rear bumper on the32 sedan will be the same as the 31 coupe with rear mounted spare,I have a 32 rear bumper for s sedan but it was for side mounts and I don’t believe it will clear the spare tire ,dave

Where Are You From? So calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 devauxs

Hello Dave, thank you for helping us sort this guy out.

Their was a rear bumper backing bar laying loose in the car, I have installed this bar along with the spare tire...The bar has two intermediate holes, I would assume would indicate two medallions were used...There is also a 3" space between spare tire and backing/support bar, How much clearance is their between your spare and bumper on your standard? Would you think we have a bar from a custom w/side mounts and rack? Also we have an approx 62 1/2" span between centers on bumper end bolts (bumper length)

The tail light bracket that we have would probably be from a '31 as the three mounting holes are different than the ones on rear fender and their would not appear to be enough room for the license plate if mounted on tail light without striking body...I can make this light bracket work if a '32 cannot be found by installing the license plate on two purches off the rear bumper support bar (same as the front)

We do have a good '32 hood (with handle) but minus the center hinge strip...We do have a source for a stainless hood strip, However it would be nice to have a picture of the Devoux end hold-down pieces as they may differ from other cars (my '31 Chrysler has this type of strip)... From what you say it appears that we have '31 front fenders on the '32 as they have a boss on fender for mounting hood pulls (no problem, those bosses will go away when I restore fenders).

Another question, on the hub caps, Gary is trying to chase down the 4 remaining hubcaps, this '32 requires a 6" cap...Does the '31 use a smaller cap?, I see a couple hubcaps on ebay and in one of the sellers picture it shows a hubcap with a tape measurer in front and appears that those caps are around 5 3/4"?
Thanks, Bill

IMG-1759

russian photo sharing

IMG-1758

IMG-1757

two dices

IMG-1761

image uploader

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Not sure this is going to help about bumper and taillight. Its fuzzy being a copy of a copy of the Standard.

Interesting about the 6 inch hub opening caps. I've seen 6, 6 1/2 and 7 inch on the 30 - 32 Durant. Reg had 6 inch ones and filled in the hub opening to accept the smaller sized 6 inch. The 7 inch was on eBay but what model that might have fit ??

Here's the Custom with luggage rack and bumper seems to stick out the same.

680-1

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Good morning. The bumper brkt or back bar doesn’t look right,unless this car had bumperettes which it may very well could have but you would think it would have 2 Brit’s instead of one long one,unless it was to protect the tire but not likely,I believe they reproduce 32 Chevy bumpers so I can measure my coupe if you need to reproduce. One,,the hood center strip is the same as semi trucks but will get you a picture of mine,will get pictures of the hood latch also,I. Believe I sent Gary pictures of the taillight brkt,I believe the taillight brkt is cast but will get pics also.the hubcaps,there was 2 sets of caps all 31 and 32 took the same cap except the 32 custom with 17 inch wheels,I have several extra hubcaps I believe I’ll chk and see.but they probably are pretty beat,the instrument cluster Gary said he was going to use the 31 cluster,if you look up instrument clusters on the internet you’ll see a pic of the 32 cluster will also take pics,there was a guy at Pomona swap meet several times that had a 32 cluster,I tried to buy just the choke knob but he wouldn’t sell it,if I run into him again I’ll pick it up but has been a couple years,please let me know if I can be of any help,as far as the front fenders go if yours is a very early 32 they may have just been trying to use up what they had, Dave

Hello bill. After I got off the website I started thinking about the bumpers being the same as 32 and 33 Chevy,if you’ll look at 33 chevys there’s a black coupe with a rear mounted spare I believe this is the style yours was originally,it would also explain the to holes for bumper bolts and the one long brkt with a flat center,if so you may be able to use a Chevy bumper, Dave

While you are talking dash plates etc. Here are the 3 with same Hayes bodies, note all have the black faced instruments and same instrument plates stamping design.

680 De Vaux dash

32-devaux

633 Durant dash

633-Sedan05

685 Frontenac dash

1932-Frontenac-6-85-108-1

Bill I forgot to add when we were talking about bumpers and same / similar body's by Hayes the Franklin.

1932 Franklin

1932-Franklin

Note the rear bumper stick out like the 680 De Vaux on this 32 Franklin however backing bar is bent out to bumper ends.

32-Franklin-Series-16-Airman-DV-10-GG-08

Hello bill here’s the pics as promised,I’m not much. Of a photographer so if you need better pics let me know,as you can see my 32 is on the rough side,Dave,
44-A293-B2-94-F1-463-A-B0-DF-138597808-F33
C3-F10-A3-F-6-D5-B-41-D7-A928-34047-A8-BE6-C0
3-B8-D8-AF1-6-F67-4790-BA1-B-1832972-C7045
F0-B27007-8-AF3-490-C-9686-0-A9002-F0-C663
414-FAC81-83-BC-4240-ACA6-24-EB875-B0-E8-C
31220-FBB-7-EF8-4525-A2-BD-0-B6-C4-FC3-DFA9
A13553-BC-D01-E-4-BAB-AC87-B6466024467-C
9-F310-E66-2997-4171-8909-497-DB85-A2405
C1-D98-CE9-C6-D6-4-CC6-875-A-15-F0-ACEA3-B66
27-CC67-F1-4-DEB-496-F-AEFF-8-C6748-E22802

salvage history means

See this for all views of a 680 formerly Myron Cummings. Shows the taillights with license plate above the light as Dave's pic shows, dash plate etc etc. Even shows the two rear bumper medallions like Bills bumper bar has holes for.
Same chromed steel hood strip as Dave's rusty one used on our 31 -32 Durant / Fronty / De Vaux's. Much cheaper to use the stainless steel ones used on B Mack trucks than have re chromed.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/the-de-vaux-1932-de-vaux-model-80/

Thanks Dave and Norm

On the rear bumper its beginning to look like I do have a "Custom" bar/bracket...The custom bumper looks to have a "half moon" shape and the standard model with rear tire mount bumper would make a quick bend at each end then goes straight across back just clearing spare tire...I have a friend in our local car club that has a '33 chevy coupe, I'll check measurements and contour of the chevy bumper...

I have the Water pump rebuilt and installed along with a new coupling hose...I Rebuilt the diaphram fuel pump (am trying out some reinforced rubber sheet material I got from McMasters for making the diaphram, good for patrolium am hoping its good for ethinal)...What gives with this "Hall" manifold arrangement, How do you remove the carburetor? Is one of the carb mounting stud nuts inside intake manifold? Do you need to seporate the intake manifold from exhaust to get at it? Good grief!

I am going threw the fuel related stuff then will get the engine running to see how it sounds...Speedometer shows about 41,ooo and agrees with some lube stickers on the door post...Dang me, I pulled the gas tank down this afternoon and looks like I will need a new tank, It looks good from the outside but you can almost push your finger through the top of the tank...We ran into that same thing with Bob's 33 Durant gas tank and needed to have a new one made.

Their are two holes in the dash under the instrument cluster, one is for the light switch (which I have) and the other I assume is for the free-wheeling control (which I don't have) what does that pull look like, does it look like the other controls but perhaps has an "F" for free wheeling?.

Been looking at a lot of DeVoux pics on the internet and it looks like the custom models have a few more frills than the standard, I see some DeVoux's have a trim piece under inside window frames to match contour of door panel stitching, mine appears never to have had them....I notice some Have a swallow orniment on top of radiator shell as in picture that Norm posted, I have a hole drilled for one, am wondering if they were put on the standard? Also, did the custom come with fender lights?

Anyway, I think I am starting to learn something about this guy, Appreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks

IMG-1771

IMG-1767

IMG-1773

IMG-1775

IMG-1777

The Free Wheeling pull has same design of the two V's one upside down over the other with FW in the middle. Its shown in the pic of the dash plates in my other posting. There was one on eBay for months.

FW

I have my doubts the De Vaux had fender lights. They are not shown in any brochure nor mentioned in the Continental and De Vaux aftermarkets. They would have specified two different lights one with single bulb reflectors and one with two bulb reflectors (the upper being the parking light). Its like the 31 / 32 Frontenac did not have fender lights just the Special and Deluxe 1930 - 32 Durant's. Again the Leaside aftermarkets confirm that. Fender lamps for 407, 611, 614, 617, 618. Standards had the two bulb reflectors. The Frontys you see with fender lights are added embellishments not factory.

Rad cap and Ornaments in De Vaux aftermarket have
Flying Girl Ornament 675
Swallow Ornament 675 and 680
Radiator Cap and Gasket 675, 680, Ace.
Again the brochure above doesn't show swallows nor does Terry's durantcars so must be like the Durant / Frontys an accessory which can be adapted and is shown as accessory in Leaside aftermarket.

Dave,

I will keep an eye out for that type of tail light mount, would expect that they are pretty few and far between....On the hood strip Norm had a couple sources, one was for plymouth/dodge and looked the same as Mac, you would cut the 4' stainless hood/hinge strip to your length, end pieces were similar, the price was less than half $160.00 Plym. as apposed to $372.00 Mac (both prices include strip and end pieces) Address
http://www.srpmstreetrods.com/srpm/mopar-hood-hinge-center-strip-ff8081812db6a293012dbe0e3cd504d5-p.html
I'll check this out if you think it would work on the DeVoux ...It appears that your '32 does not use an outside portion of the hold-down clip? Could it be used?

Norm,

Speaking of orniment on the DeVoux radiator shell, we were on tour going up the hill out of Hood River, OR and most of the cars were heating up, so trying to be healpfull I grabbed the orniment on Mike Larsens DeVoux coupe (thinking it was his radiator cap) then realized it was an orniment that mike had glued on the shell...Mike was nice enough about it and lifted the hood and showed me where the real radiator cap was.

Ha ha .. yes the real rad cap is under the hood on the 680, like the Beacon / Flyer / Ace Conny's, and 685, C-400 / C-600 Fronty's. The 633 is same as the normal 30 =32 Durant and 31 - 32 E Fronty's with the half turn, top of rad shell, caps. 633 uses the E 670 rad.

Only idea's about the wrong parts on the 680. Myron had 6 De Vaux's and one 675 was used as a parts car.
1931 Sport Coupe
1931 Custom Coupe
1931 4 door Sedan
1931 Standard Coupe
1932 4 door Standard Sedan (yours)
1932 Convertible Coupe
Perhaps the wrong taillight stanchion was off the 675. Same with the fender with the hood hold down clamp part.
Per the Conny / De Vaux aftermarket
Front Fender plain 675 and 680
Front Fender with tire well 675 and 680
Not finding any pictures of the 680 hood showing what held it down. All have something blocking it like a side mount or pic taken with fender blocking that area. 675 had the normal side clamps front / back of the hood.

In answer to the center strip end caps. The 633 has same as the 680 De Vaux. To use end caps like a good many vehicles 1931 and up, would require cutting the hood both ends to accept the end caps. Does Dave's sedan even have anything at cowl end in his pic's above ? It seems to be missing but strip short enough to butt against the end upright piece of fastening like the 633 has.

ends

That end clip for the center hinge strip that you have pictured is exactly the same as the ones on my '31 Chrysler and measurements indicate that they would be correct for the DeVoux....So what I'm thinkin is, If I can't find a couple I will see if I can make them and have them plated when the rest of the bright work is done...I'll just buy the stainless 4 ft. hood hinge strip for $75.00 which should take care of that.

I have solved my carburetor removal dilema...Someone in the past installed an incorrect carburetor, it is a Carter BB1 and was designed to have studs in carburetor for mounting purposes...Problem was that the Hall 6 port manifold also used studs for mounting a carburetor...Sooo, one of the mounting holes on carb was drilled out to accept a special ground bolt with small head... on the other side he was limited because of the idle jet directly above hole....Sooo, what had me totally confused he shortened one of the Hall studs, then installed the flange gasket then tightened the carb by turning the entire carb and then installed the special ground bolt on the other side where that studd had previously been removed from manifold....Are you confused? I sure was...Anyone know what Carburetor was used on the 40A engine?

Just take the end clips out if your 31 Chrysler and use them ha ha. The 685 Fronty coupe in pieces for eons at the Oshawa Museum has same strip end holders. Also found a pic of its hood with no hood clamp attachments only the handle that turns like yours. Not a lot of difference 680 and 685 other than names, 32A engine. and we used Depress Beam lights with 11471 lenses same as 31 - 32 Durant, Rugby, Frontys at Dominion.
Its the same with the 33 Beacon our C-400, Flyer our C-600 and Ace 81 our Fronty Ace 91. We just Canadianized them a bit with Fronty name, Depress Beam lights lense convex 12887, glove box in C-400 and last of the C-400's were radio equipped. US Beacon had neither glove box or radio's.

685-hood

Yep … 1931 675 with 40A Tillotson J-2A or J-2B, 1932 680 with same 40A and Hall name ground off block but same carb. New replacement Zenith 267-14999.
Conny wised up for the ACE with same 40A block, name removed and called it a 41A with downdraft Marvell 1553

That brings up a question I asked you in our emails was the serial number of your 40A and casting dates of head and block. I know both will be 1931 year since Conny seemed to use up excess 40A's in the 680 and Ace.

Bill put hood hinge center strip in eBay motors and there are a few. Never mind the Ford ones which are too short.

This seller has two left and 40 inch should be plenty long 253730427764 $35 is cheaper than the $75. Or this one 7 left 48 inch and $25 291854986395

Hello bill, hopefully the bumper mystery is solved,the hood strip end caps on my devaux are missing but will keep my eyes open for a pair,the taillight I believe was used on other cars if not we can always use mine for a pattern to reproduce one,the freewheeling knob I don’t believe is on mine,,I’m not sure if my 32 has freewheeling or not,,as for the hubcaps if all else fails I may be able to help. , Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? Devauxs

Norm,

That 48" strip for $25 had a 46.51 shipping charge....I ordered the 40 " strip as I only need about 36" the shipping was more realistic at $11 something...I also ordered the stainless Chrysler and now "DeVoux" repro end clips that the same seller offers...Then realized I could have ordered them together, ebay # 263795692475 For $60.00 plus 11 something for shipping...Anyway, It's good to know that this is being reproduced and at a reasonable price.

Not sure what I'll do about a carburetor, the carter with it's rube goldberged mounting does have a manual accelerator pump which I don't think the originaly installed Tillitson or even the Zenith offered?...I am contiplating making an offset carb adapter and reinstall the carter properly if space constraints will allow, with the Hall manifold however, their is very little space for carb. to clear the frame.

Dave,

Appreciate the help is sorting this stuff out, I just checked out my Chrysler and the tail light mount on that is different then the 32 DeVoux (Open on the underside) will check with what other manufactures were using that may have been a better match then the 31 DeVoux.

It was an I wonder what might be on eBay for the strip. Used different words until I finally got a number of them. Left that up to you to check shipping charges on various sellers. Now you convert that to Can $ and big ouch for shipping, customs etc fee's The $46.51 is $63 Can.
That end fastening is not the same butterfly looking as the 680, 685, 633 have but once the strip is put in place over it who would know.

Kind of doubt Jon would have a J2A or J2B http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/ Interesting to see how close the 3 Co's were Durant, De Vaux, and Dominion with parts. J2 De Vaux, J4A, J6A, J7A Dominion and J5A Lansing on the 619. I talked to Jon a few years back and he had never heard of a Frontenac nor our J4A, J6A, J7A carbs and was going to add the info about Frontenac models / carbs and add Durant models 1930 up models / carbs on our Can cars. Never happened.

Makes me wonder what the difference is between carbs.
De Vaux 40A 214.7 cuin J2A and J2B ctc bolt fasting 2 11/16 Zenith 267-14999
Durant / Fronty 1931 / 32 22A 199.1 cuin W8A, J4A (Can) ctc bolt fastening 2 11/16 Zenith 267-14999
Durant 1932 618 and 633 32A 214.7 cuin J6A ctc bolt fastening 2 11/16 Zenith 267-14999
Fronty 685 32A 214.7 cuin, J7A ctc bolt fastening 2 11/16 Zenith 267-14999

Note the 40A and 32A have same cuin and wonder if any of the carbs would work on the 680. Reason I mention that is Ray Walker did have rebuilt J6A off a 1932 618 for sale.

Norm, I am sure that those end clips are made that way for ease in reproduction...I think they look great and they are stainless to match the strip...No chroming required.

I did some research on that Carter BB1 (D) carburetor that was on the DeVoux and It is in fact a correct Carter universal replacement, however it does requires a # 22 Carter adapter....Your old "chum" Don at the Carburetor Shop has a good article on the History of the Carter BB1 also has an old application Chart supplied by Carter on the same page http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carter_Universal_BB1_carburetors.htm which lists the 1931 DeVoux 6-75...Don did have a NOS #22 adapter but wanted $225.00 for it...He said the adapter was a straight 2" long, bolt hole centers 2 11/16" and parallel...I think I would be better served by making my own adapter with an offset as with a strait adapter it would leave the Carburetor too close to the frame and engine is rubber mounted. (the Hall manifold sticks out from engine so far)....This looks to be a good carburetor, has both a pump and power valve, thinking I will clean it up and go with it.

Bill if you decide to go with the tillotson let me know I may have an xtra,personally I believe the carter to be the better carburetor. Dave

Where Are You From? Socalif

Apparently the J5A used on the 1931 619 Durant with an adaptor can be used on Chevy, so must be same idea.

Hello bill if you’ll look on eBay under Leigh,ting punch in nacho,there’s a taillightandliscense brkt that maybe right,no mounting brkt but when you get to that point we can copy mine, Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? Devaux

Dave,

Wasn't able to find that tail light...Gary did have a Tail light that he had collected that appears in good shape...I am now looking at the 1934-36 chevy truck rear bumper, I have requested measurements from seller, this bumper is being reproduced in chrome or polished stainless and has a single hole for medallion as does my front bumper.

At the moment I am here in Pendelton,OR on Tour with the Willys, Overland group...I am setting here at the Motel and the wife is down at the Caseno spending all my hard earned cash...Knock on wood but so far the old '17 Overland model 85 big 4 touring is keepin up with the best of them.

Hello bill. Sorry for the address spell chk does what it wants,if you go on eBay go into collector car,scroll down to lighting click on lighting and type in naco at the end there’s a naco light and brkt, Dave

Where Are You From? Socalif

Do You own a car built by Durant? Devaux

The Durant Motors Automobile Club