Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1923 Durant Star Distributor conversion

Bob Smith
Ken There are no Auto-Lite distributors out there. They were made of pot metal and none have survived. It sounds like what you really need is a Distributor drive housing. In the back of the club newsletter there is ads for two different housings. If you are not a member, let me know so I can send you a scan of the page. Bob
I am a member. Sent my letter and dues in. No response yet. You can send my that copy. I will be that housing. Thanks

Where Are You From? East Hartford,Ct

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes 1923 Star

the jr mechanics from the bay area found a replacement distributor for James 1925 star. We used a 6 volt vw distributor and roger changed the gear. The nice thing is the distributor auto advances when starting.

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? durant,locomobile,flint

I see these distributors on eBay. So far, No one can come up with a gear or gear number. My you can ask that Bay area mechanic what he used. Thanks for getting back to me Mike. Getting closer

Thanks Ken .. I'll notify Steve to update his Registry to show you the owner of the car. If you look in durantcar in DMAC your car is in the late Terry K's Alberta Registry. My 32 614 was last car he partly added in Dec 2006. To create Steve's Registry as many old lists as we can find have been used so owners are not always the same.

Perhaps with so many W4A / W5A's around someone might have the part you need for the W4A. Perhaps the Butters Boys in Cobourg cast them also.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Sent you the full page from Partner with the two ads and it has Butters lower left who also casts our parts.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

I need to do some research but in one of the old old club magazines I seem to remember that someone used a VW distributor too on one of the cars. I'll see if I can find it.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan

Hello everyone. I have come up with a solution for W4 distributor problem. I looked on eBay and saw that an early Autolite generator for a Wisconsin engine had a generator distributor drive. Many variations. Look for the one with the grease cup to the outside. The 3 screw housing is an exact fit. Take a punch and knock out the plug for water pump shaft. I used a Delco distributor 13 tooth gear. Tune up parts are available and affordable from the Brillman Co. You will need to install a couple of shims so the gear is centered in the housing. The Prestolite distributor that cane on the generator would probably work. It has 12 tooth gear you must change.

kenneth, could you tell me what delco distributor you used? I am a little confused for some reason my distributor has 12 teeth but has obvious signs of being modified to fit as does the drive gear on the generator. Could you also tell me what the tooth count is on your drive gear?

Where Are You From? sadler tx

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1922 star touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club