Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Durant Model 40 Tourer?

Car_wash_in_river_2
Car_wash_in_river
Gran_and_3_Kids_on_car

I thought you may be interested in these photographs of (so I'm told) a Durant Model 40 Tourer in daily life in Southern Rhodesia around 1930. They are scanned from glass negatives taken by my grandfather, who was a hunter/gold miner at the time. The large lady sitting in the car was my grandmother, a district nurse. My dad is the one sitting on the running board, holding an incredibly long shotgun. His two older sisters are with him. Sadly, all have now passed on.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I initially thought the car was a Crossley, judging by the steering wheel being on the right. Crossley suggested firstly a Chandler, then a Durant model 40 Tourer. Looking at the grille, I agree with the Durant ID.
I have no idea what ever happened to the car, but it seems to have survived the enthusiastic car wash in the river!

Where Are You From? Cape Town, South Africa

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

Re: Durant Model 40 Tourer?

Definitely the grill used on last of the Stars (exported as Rugby. left or right hand drive)and the Durant April 1 1928 to Dec 31 1929. Could be an M2 (Star)Rugby, M2 Durant, M4 Durant or model 40. Might well have been exported from Leaside Ontario. Lack of bumpers could make it a Rugby (Star). Hubcaps seem Durant style with the D letter used on the 4 cyl's.
See what other DMAC'ers think.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Hi John,
I really like your pictures.
Adding to what Norm said, there are a two subtle clues here.
The first is the radiator shell, the 1928 grills have ribs on the bottom and the 29 grills have a smooth surface, in a perfect world anyway. Second and biggest clue to me is the headlights, I have seen these 1927 headlight carried over into early 1928 cars in factory photos. So I'd say it's a 1928 model year. The four cylinder engine would be the most practical choice with its higher fuel mileage and lower overall cost.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Another clue is the 40 hood has a space in the middle of the hood louvers, which this doesn't. So its a toss up 1928 model year Rugby (Star) or Durant Those puffed out sides on the hubcaps seem to make it M2 Durant
Leaside aftermarket says M, M2, X and X2 had acorn type headlights. M could also have drum lights.
M being Star pre M2, M2 Star / Durant, and X / X2 Rugby one ton truck after April 1 1928 to May 28 1929, when it was replaced by the 401 Rugby one ton truck.

So more fuel to the fire it was an M2 with 4 cyl W5 Continental engine.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Wow, I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest!
Thanks guys, for all the input.
I wish I knew the history of this car. I doubt that Grandad could have afforded to buy and import it new, so possibly bought it second hand. Unless of course there was an importer/dealer in Rhodesia.
Anyway, having established that it is a Durant/Star in the photos, I can go ahead and research the origin more closely.
Many thanks
John

Where Are You From? Cape Town, South Africa

Do You own a car built by Durant? No

The Durant Motors Automobile Club