Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our Founder Yates Milton

It is with great sadness that I tell you this, the founder of our wonderful Durant Motors Auto Club passed away last night. Yates was a good friend to us and a true Southern Gentleman.
The organization he created reaches around the world and is now twenty years old and going strong.

Yates old friend we'll miss you.

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1931 Durant model 619

Re: Our Founder Yates Milton

So sorry to hear about Yates, our sympathy goes to Doris and the rest of the family. I am really glad we were privileged to know him and call him a friend.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Wow Wow Wow say no, Rick called me about this sad news and I am sad tonight, brother Yates had called me 20 years ago about his great idea, what great great old car buddy, so so grateful for his nice southern leadership the first few years. He had called and ask me to run for president, was so so happy to help out. I hope we can start a special award in our great Durant Club with brother Yates name on it. Good good guy.
Sadly,
Lance Haynes
San Diego

Where Are You From? San Diego, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A whole bunch of them.

Thanks for letting us know Rick. I am so happy we got to share one last meet with Yates and Doris in NC a few years back. Grateful to his family for making it happen that year! Our prayers and hugs go out to Doris and the family! I bet he is having some great conversations with Billy Durant now!

Where Are You From? NJ/San Diego

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4

Without Yates encouragement this club would not be the success it is today. He will surely be missed.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Really sorry to hear about Yates....I joined the club under Yates and although I never got the oppertunity to actually meet Yates in person it seamed we became good friends just in conversation on the phone, I alwayse enjoyed Yates's southern accent....Both Yates and I had A-22s and we helped each other with parts and possiably some encouragement as well in getting them restored....Yates Milton, "Just a real good guy"

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

We were deeply sadden as we heard of the passing of our founder and good friend Yates Milton. We met Yates 20 years ago this October in Hershey Pennsylvania at the first organizational meeting of the DMAC. We went to Hershey to fulfill one of Yate's dream. He wanted to continue the legacy of Jeff Gillis, the founder of the Durant Family Registry. Yates's dream was the organization of a new Durant club. He fulfilled this dream by being our first president. Under his guidance and leadership, the DMAC has flourished into what it is today. We last spoke to Yates at Christmas as he was not able to send out cards so he called us instead. He was a true southern gentleman. We wish to send our condolences to Doris his wife and to his family. Thanks Yates for having a dream. Sonia & Bert Babick

Where Are You From? American canyon cal.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars

I have to add my bit here as he was a man that made everyone feel special I know he made me feel welcome when I met him - I didnt have too much to do with him but what I did was always special.
He will be sorely missed .
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

Cathy and I had the honor and pleasure of knowing Yates for many years and calling him a good friend.

As many have said he was a true Southern Gentleman. He had a vision for making the DMAC a great Club and growing it beyond expectations.

Yates had a way of bringing people together and encouraging them in his charming way of arm twisting. I know he gently pushed me! He was instrumental in forming the East Coast Chapter and would not give up until we had one. He convinced me to run for president and would not take no for an answer.

I have fond memories from the Auburn meet when he pulled his own name to win the Dusenberg. He wanted to pull another name, but the members told him he was the winner and most deserving. A true humble man, we lost a Great Man.

Safe journey my Friend, until we meet again......

Frank & Cathy

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star, Durant , Devaux

I first met Yates at Hershey in 1998 at the first meeting regarding forming a Club to replace the Durant Family Registry organized by Jeff Gillis.
I have had many meetings with Yates since then. The most recent was the East Coast meeting in Salisbury N. Carolina.
Yates, we will miss you!!
Doris, you have our deepest sympathy.

Gordon & Mary Carolyne Curl

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac made by Dominion Motors, Leaside

The Durant Motors Automobile Club