Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Running board rubber and metal trim

Ok, got a question for you all. What is the proper rubber to cover the top of the running boards with? Who supplies it? I know there is a couple of different patterns, but what is factory correct? Also the metal running board aluminum trim. What is correct for the 1928? I remember one place was making the correct Durant metal trim but I think it's out of business. What is everybody else using?

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Re: Running board rubber and metal trim

Mike--
A very simple solution-- Go to yopur local carpeting shop and look for the black rubber floor covering they use in a lot of hallways-- its cheap and looks pretty good. once its down no one would know it was not made for the car.
I used some in my car on the floor under the carpeting --good waterproofing as well.
KEN

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

Thanks Ken for the information, but I'm shooting for as authentic as I can be on this one. I'm sure someone has a picture or sample of what would have been on the running boards for 1928. While your at it, snap a picture of the metal trip too for me. Thanks.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

just as an aside. When I was replacing the running boards on my 1930 6-14, I wanted to be authentic also. I had a friend who was a sheet metal worker who said the trim was made of zinc. I found some in Seattle and had him make up a set for my car. He said it was hard material to work with, it was used for some gutter systems. You can polish it up to be very bright, but it tarnishes quickly, but doesn't corrode. The rubber itself was easy to get at someplace like Steele rubber. The bolts to attach to the running board hangers were called elevator bolts. This probably has nothing to do with what you need, and my sheet metal worker friend has passed on.Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

I have samples somewhere for 1923, don't know how it would relate to 1928...1923 "Oakland" factory was also using Zinc for both the cowl and running board molding...The running board molding as I recall has a 3 bead on the top leg and a double line with about 3 rows of dotted texture between on the side leg....Ray Keto made a tool for duplicating this design....I had the tool for a while and then sent it on to John Bardeli....The running board mat for '23 was black "V" grove battleship lenolium (burlap backed)....Ray Keto in his article, talked about manufacturing his own mat by using battle ship lenolium then on a tablesaw cutting the V grove.....Would it be possiable to re-print Rays article in our magazine or would their be copyright issues?

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Bill-

No copyright problems as far as I am concerned. I know my father was against copy writing any of his writings as he wanted to share any knowledge he had. All his articles were submitted freely by him to any publication and without copyright. He would encourage you to reprint any of his articles for the benefit of the club.

Hope this helps.

Where Are You From? Smithsburg, Maryland

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant Sport Touring

The Durant Motors Automobile Club