Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Possibly cracked engine block

This is mostly for Don Schilling but I thought I'd throw it out for general discussion too. My W5 engine had a stud broke off on the water jacket opening right above the water pump.Drilled it out and replaced it. New gasket and filled it up with anti freeze and a couple months later I realize I have a wet spot under the engine below the water pump. So took the cover plate off and redid the gasket again and now I discover a small wet spot on the floor, same place and the wet spot on the engine block right under that cover plate. Now Don, I vaguely remember you talking about a cracked block somewhere and feeling along the block somewhere?? Is this the spot ?? Anyone else have this problem ? I haven't started this engine up yet but am inclined to go ahead and start it up put in some modern Stop Leak and see what happens. Interested in some replies.. Dave

Where Are You From? Custer, S.Dakota

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes, 1927 Star

Re: Possibly cracked engine block

Hi David,

Did you use a sealant on the stud threads or wrap it a few times with teflon tape....If the stud goes into the water jacket any leakage past the threads can leak through the hole in the gasket and out through the hole in the plate and seep past the stud nut....Also important to use the proper size drill for the tap....Your car must be Canadian for the W-5 to have side plates rather than having 2 soft plugs?

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I was just thinking, you might try just putting a copper washer on the stud that you installed in place of the lockwasher and see if this is your problem.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

I finally got a pic loaded. What I was referring to is the area under the water jacket, on the right side of the engine. The freeze crack will form on the underside of the water jacket. If it doesn't break out a chunk, it can be easily repaired with cooling system sealer.
IMG_2354

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

The Durant Motors Automobile Club