Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Brake lining 1930

I need to reline the brakes on my 1930 407. Where can I get correct replacement linings and brass rivets so I can reline my brakes?

Where Are You From? Ellensburg, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: Brake lining 1930

Robert, there's tons of brake lining material on Ebay. Just find the width and thickness you need.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Thanks Don. The width is easy to measure, but I do not have any idea what the appropriate thickness should be for my car. Also any recommendations for the proper material? (My brother used a strange woven fabric type material for the brakes on his 23 Model T.) My Durant brakes have two different materials on different wheels (confusing in the least).

Hi Bob,

In the past I have recommended the Hi-strength woven brake lining that McMasters Carr carries but I wasn't happy with the last shippment that I recieved and installed on my model 40 last year...I believe that it is imported and looks to have too much resen in the lining, it is actually orange in color...I went ahead and installed the lining and the brakes have a horrable low speed brake shudder and loude noise as soon as the lining warms slightly....McMasters sent me a second box of 10' and that lining looked just as bad....Anyway, when I get back to Leavenworth in April I am going to put "wire Back" lining on it, I have had wire-back lining on my 31 Chrysler since I restored it 35 years ago and it is available on ebay....If you are in no big hurry, get your lining and come over with your shoes, I have a brake machine now...

This is a piece of the woven lining that I am talking about, along with a piece of their lining that I recieved a couple of years ago that I have on the Flint, the bottom lining that I installed on the Flint seams to be ok.

IMG_0837

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Hi Bill.
Thanks for the offer, I will take you up on it. The lining in your photo looks like the lining my brother used on his Model T, and like one of the mismatched linings on my car. I have not heard of wire backed lining, but I will see what I can locate on eBay.

The per foot price of 1 3/4" x 3/16" wire back brake lining on ebay is rather spendy....Their is a seller that has 3 new old stock 25' rolls of 1 3/4" x 3/16" National wire back lining on ebay, that is enough material to do 2 cars with material left over for 80 bucks with free shipping....I snagged one or them and will give it a shot...I need material for both my Flint B-40 and the Durant 40 that I am changing out...I think this is the size of lining that is used on the 3 shoe brakes? Also, you can cut to width on a bandsaw if needed.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Not coming up with much on our Midland Steeldraulic Brakes one piece shoes used 1930 Durant and up, 11 inch except 617 which is 14 inch. US hasn't the Fronty E-618 / E-670 and 685 which also are 11 inch but after 685 car K-2001 plus the 633 Durant are 12 inch.

Per Durant Instructions for Adjusting Steeldraulic Brakes from Lansing, the mean distance between lining and drum and circumference of shoes is ..

11 inch diameter - 3/64" Clearance - 33 3/8" Circumference
14 inch diameter - 1/16" Clearance - 42 13/64" Circumference

Says in aftermarkets and the Lansing info, its a Woven Lining designed to be used on the Steeldraulic Brakes. The lining is designed to be used with Steeldraulic Brakes is special moulded type, having a very uniform low co-efficient of friction and long life. It is not affected by changes of atmospheric conditions and greatly resists absorption of grease and oil. It also says do not attempt to reline old shoes. ( as if we have any other choice now )

Chilton Interchange says the Steeldraulic Durant 11 inch shoes are same as De Vaux 675 and 1930 Pontiac 6 cyl. 617 is alone.

As far as width or thickness of lining I have no idea. As our shoes wear down we adjust with the special Steeldaulic curved pliers seen in Tech area under Steeldraulic. The info in Tech doesn't give the info above from Lansing which is 10 pages. Its Frank, scanning Forum that has the 10 pages from Lansing .. See misspelling Steeldraulic Breaks June 3 2014.

I seem to recall on Forum, someone used the wrong thickness and couldn't get drum on.

Bill made comments on Mikes posting Brake Material Aug 15, 2013 about sanding down brake material too thick. Mike also mentioned McMaster-Carr which Bill is now saying he's not pleased with products.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

I used the McMaster Carr brake linings on my D40. I had to sand them down in order to fit, I also used aluminum pop rivets to hold them on and it worked fairly well. I have not used the car yet so can not tell you how good they are.

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40

OK...A little update on my above woven brake lining dilema....Searching the internet I found a thread and someone had posted the following sentence ..."(When I worked for a dealer, we used to quiet squeaking brakes by brushing on a coat of "lampblack" mixed with alcohol.)"... I have never heard of using Lampblack on brake lining and thought it would be like so much snake oil, but since I was grabbing for straws anyway and even though my problem was much more severe, I thought I would gave it a shot....Hey, Brakes are working beautiful now...Took the car up over Badger Mountain out of E. Wenatchee with 10 and 11 percent grades up to Waterville and back down...Steep, Steep, Steep...Brakes are working great now....Also, NO brake fading with the cast sleeves that I machined and shrank on over the stamped steel 11" durant Drums that I machined from F-100 Ford front brake drums(NAPA 440-1145) (Another story)(Patten Pending)... So, that was my shakedown run and we should ready for the Spring Fling in Greyeagle in about 2 weeks.

IMG_0854_1

IMG_0851_1

IMG_0843

IMG_0836_1

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 Durants / 2 Flints

I came across and box of moulded brake lining material some time ago. It is uncut material that needs to be cut to desired length and drilled for rivets. It could be the type needed for Durants?

Where Are You From? Oshawa, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Not yet!

Bill:
I like the idea of machining the F 150 drums to make a sleeve to go over the 11" drums. The Frontenac drums are getting thin and do show some brake fade. Will have to look into this.
Thanks for the pictures - worth a thousand words.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac made by Dominion Motors, Leaside

Robin,

I ain't no expert but I think you are right about using molded brake lining on our later Durants with self energized brakes...I have a NOS box of
brake lining for "Durant", It is pre drilled. and cut to length hard molded lining, It is 1 3/4" wide and in the original box.... It is listed for "Durant" 1928-29 Model 70 and 1929 model 75 ...(Don't make the mistake of buying molded lining from McMasters, that stuff must be for some type of industrial application and not automotive, it is not rigid like you would expect)....( "Wireback" lining is basicly a molded lining reinforced with a woven wire backing to better hold rivets) Anyway, If my problem comes back I think I will go to Wireback.

Gord.

Thanks, have taken pics of the machining and installing process of the cast sleeves and will write something up for the Partner.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 Durants / 2 Flints

The Durant Motors Automobile Club