Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
vin location

dose this vehicle have a vin number? if so where. i see a tag on the toe board on the passenger side with model no. and car number. and what appear to be casting numbers on the passenger side of the block,w8a 605.
thank you for any info, gene

Where Are You From? North powder oregon

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 model 407

Re: vin location

The car number on the data plate IS the VIN number.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

Thanks so much, the car no. Is 2006, I can't wait to tell my friends,

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 407

The vin plate will indicate the model as 407 but also the plant. Part of the vin is the plant letter. I'm assuming the vin is T-2006 from Leaside Ont. If it was the few 407's produced in Oakland it will have a C. The Registry on existing 407's from Oakland does not go to even C-1900. 407 US became the 610 Sept 23 1930 but in Canada was made into 1932 under Dominion Motors. Dominion Motors itself owned 1932 H-4305 Deluxe Sedan.

As you indicate the engine is a W8A with a casting of W8A-605. Both block and head will have different castings and casting dates. The engine serial will be right side of the engine.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

On the tag it says
MODEL 407. CAR NO.2006
DURANT MOTOR CO.
OF
CALIFORNIA

Hi Gene. I own 3 1930 model 407s produced in Oakland. All three are standard 4 door sedans with wood wheels and were painted the same: maroon body and black fenders. I am curious if your 407 is a standard sedan and what the original colors were.

Where Are You From? Ellensburg, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re:robert

Mine is a truck w wood wheels it must have been a sedan at one time but I saw picture of one in new Zealand and it looked identical to mine. The fenders are black the body navy blue and the hood must have been red or maroon.

Re: Re:robert

Here's a pic of Gene's modified 407. You can see the sedan rear section has been moved forward to make a cab. Gas tank moved from under the cross plate.

407_adhoc_truck

Appears to be typical Durant blue on cowl used on any 1930 - 32 407 or 614 I ever saw in the 60 / 70's in wrecking yards / farmers fields / clubs. Was on my old 30 and the 32 is the same. Blue bodies / hoods with black fenders. Even the Leaside 1930 614 booklet shows the Special in the blue. Just figured back then it was like Henry Ford who said you can have any colour you want providing its black, Billy must have said blue instead ha ha Look in Photo's section under Ray Walker's former 407, now owned by Lance. Same blue /black.

1930_6_14_7

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club