Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear bumper

There was a bumper in the back seat when I bought the car that fits the whole width of the car. Unfortunately when I try to install, it interferes with the spare tire that is also mounted on te back of the car. The brackets and bumper were badly bent but I can not tell whether the bumper goes in front or behind the tire. Any pictures that I have found show split bumpers.Does any one have a picture that shows a full bumper with a spare tire. Perhaps I have the wrong bumper?

Where Are You From? Lombardy ONtario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40

Re: Rear bumper

Full bumper on rear is usually on side mount cars. Yours should have the twin bumperette's same as Mac Irvine's in Photo's. Didn't you get a bunch of axles etc from the place near Christie Lake where you picked up the car ? If you have your front bumper then this one must be off one of the cars the other parts came from. Used to be lots of Durant's in and around Perth area years back. The postman drove a 1933 C-600 Frontenac sedan. Steve picked up what was left of that car and took it to the Guelph meet a few years back.

Rear bumpettes

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Norm, I believe you are right. They must have bought the bumper that didn't fit and that is why it was in the back seat. My options! Put the spare in the front fender, try to find twin bumperettes or modify the spare by lifting it 5" to clear the bumper. I lean towards the first as I like that look and you can buy the kit. I think either the ford or chevy would work. I also would like a trunk on the back and that would allow for that. I suspect it would be impossible to find the bumperettes. I am not sure the modified spare tire would look good. I would appreciate any other ideas or suggestions.

Jim

Where Are You From? Lombardy Ontario

I would think finding the correct Bumperettes would be a much easier project than changing to side mounted spare. To do that conversion you would surely need a parts car to pull off a proper conversion. There are a lot of pieces here (more than just a hole in the front fender). The same with mounting a trunk.. different cover, needed brackets, shelf.

The bumperettes were too common to not be available.

Where Are You From? Tucson

Do You own a car built by Durant? a-22, b-22, 633

First off you need 6 19 inch lock ring wire wheels to alter the car to a deluxe 40, and the 4 brake drums, plus the two front fenders with wells and the mounting brackets and the wire wheel center caps. Have fun finding all those. Plus the chrome plated cowl band. Just goes on from that modifying the rear for luggage rack and trunk.
There was 4 wires on eBay a few years back the lad in NH wanted $2000 USD for and they were missing the lock rings. Bad enough finding the wheels but then where do you find the lock rings if missing ?
With all the 1928 / 29 Durant's built there must be loads of bumperette's. You could leave off the bumperette's and I doubt anyone would be the wiser. (until you located a pair) Look at the 1930 407 for example which came without bumpers front and back to save buyers money. They were an option to purchase. Ron J up in Foresters Falls had a 407 and I told him it came from Cornwall. How did I know that he asked. Easy. In the 60's when I saw the car in Cornwall someone in its history had put 29 Chevy bumpers on it and they are still on the car. I've seen other 407's for sale or owned without bumpers. In the 20's a number of vehicles only had front bumpers, if they had bumpers at all.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Jim,

I am wondering if you could somehow work in a Model A flip up luggage rack into the equasion...They look sharp when in the up position with their wood slats...They are made to set behind your spare and may somewhat hide the lower end of the spare if raised...Don't know for sure if it would work with full bar bumper but possiably luggage rack brackets could come out above or below the bumper? I do have an extra set of bumperetts, not sure all hardware is there, they came off a Canadian M-2 but think they were originaly off a 65 or 75 as they have groves in the face, it wouldn't be until I get back to WA in April befor I could check them out.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

I have seen the luggage racks on the back of Fords and they look nice. I have the oak spokes and running boards. It would suit the car. My wife came up with a 4th option that I like. She said that the bumperettes are just a shortened version of the long bumper so cut them to fit. I could easily adapt the support brackets to fit. I will look closer at that idea today.

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

The Durant Motors Automobile Club