Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
'24 Star Restoration Prep

I've checked with several shops about rebuilding the woodwork, repairing metalwork, and body assembly and have pretty well decided on Robin Baker at Automotive Wood Bodies to do the work. Today we trimed the body, unbolted from the frame, and installed bracing. I'll get everything packed and ready to load in the truck when the opportunity presents itself.

https://photos.google.com/search/_tra_/photo/AF1QipPTR4ETqR0dUPQHtrw0l-DzDk_G1d2rP9rnRQSx

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Re: '24 Star Restoration Prep

That would be in Oshawa, Ontario, the head office city of General Motors of Canada and their largest GM Canadian assembly plant. Might want to check the quality of your snow tires before heading it north. Could be a while until the ground hog sees his shadow.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

I figure on entering at Detroit. How are the Canadian roads in January? Do they keep them plowed regularly? Otherwise, I'll wait till Spring!

IMG_2334

I75 through Detroit, then Ontario highway 401 straight thru to Oshawa, once you get through the bottlenecks of Toronto traffic that can slow to a snarl any time of day for no apparent reason. The roads are plowed well and salted heavily, we're in the rust belt. Extremely poor visibility and white outs on the road during blowing snow are the absolute worst. If he wasn't going to start the work until spring or summer, I would leave the trip until closer to that time and avoid the salt and winter conditions. Safe travels. You have DMAC friends scattered along the entire route if you need help with anything.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

I forgot about all the salt on the roads. Reckon I'll wait until the Spring rains wash the roads off! My pickup needs to last me for the duration.

Don I live in Whitby Ontario . That is about 4 miles from the centre of Oshawa. I dont know of this place, nor does any of my friends. If you have an address, or phone # I will find more info but there is no phone book listing that would lead me to a location to check out. None of my friends , so far, is aware of him or the business.

Where Are You From? Whitby, ON

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes & a Flint project as well as a 26 Star

Jack just put Automotive Wood Bodies in search and it has several hits. Even shows 136 photos of a 1928 Durant sedan body wood. This fellow has been mentioned on Forum before.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Automotive-Wood-Bodies-627526204055134/about/?ref=page_internal

Located in Oshawa Canada I can recreate vintage style body wood framing that is found in many early cars from the beginning up to the 1930s. I can work from original wood, patterns and even photos to make new wood. In some cases I can design wood to fit a body if all the panels and brackets are present but no wood exists. Familiar with Fisher, Briggs, Murray and Bud wood body construction. All companies followed similar methods and principals so most body wood can be created. I have not set up a web site. I can be contacted at automotivewoodbodies@gmail.com or through this Facebook page.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Hi all Robin here. Yes I exist. I am still in the start-up/setup phase and have been operating through Facebook until I get to create a web site. You can see pictures of my work on my Facebook page "Automotive Wood Bodies". I can be contacted by e-mail at automotivewoodbodies@gmail.com. For anyone in the Toronto area I will be at the upcoming auto flea market at the International Center in Mississauga on Dec 3rd. I will have a Chevrolet floor there on display.
Regards.
Robin Baker

Where Are You From? Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

We built a spreader bar and lifted the body off the frame. Next we mounted it on a travel board.

IMG_2340
IMG_2339

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several plus 1

The Durant Motors Automobile Club