Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
2018 DMAC Conference in Staten Island NY 9/13 - 9/17

Hi Everyone! Charlie and I met up with Ed yesterday to work on the Meet. We toured several hotels and agreed with Ed that the best choice is the Hilton. He was able to get a rate of $139.00 plus taxes per night. We got Lacqua to honor that rate for two days before the meet and two days after the meet as she originally agreed to with Ed a while back. The Conference will start with arrivals into SI on Thursday, September 13. Saying goodbye to each other on Monday-September 17. Ed is working on the events, but it is shaping up to be a tour to Old Richmond Town on Friday Morning. We will have a luncheon somewhere, and head back to the hotel in the afternoon. Bert and Roger have agreed (thank you both so much) to run a Tech session for the men in the afternoon after we return. I am trying to set up a tour and tasting at a 100 year old Chocolate Factory that is close to the hotel for the ladies for that afternoon. Saturday we will all take the Staten Island Ferry into NYC. Then everyone is free to either explore, attend a Broadway Play, the 911 Museum, South Street Seaport, etc on their own. Sunday is a huge Car show close to the hotel. Ed says over 500 classic cars come to this event. We have set up the Banquet in the hotel for 6PM. We will have our annual meeting at the end of the Banquet.
You will NEED to book your room ASAP once we get the code numbers. We were only able to put a hold on 15 rooms to start IF we booked our room yesterday (we did). This Hilton is the best hotel on SI, so it is VERY popular for weddings and other events-so it fills up fast. Lacqua said she will honor more requests IF they have more rooms available up to Aug 13. BUT if you book now with just a credit card (and they don't charge it until you arrive) you can always cancel without a penalty up to a few days before the event. So those of you who normally wait until the last minute-DON'T! If any of you know about NYC hotel prices-this is a deal! When we were there yesterday they were filled to capacity and we saw two weddings in the short time we were there.
Breakfast is NOT included in this rate-but we went to the restaurant and buffet breakfast is only $14.99 a person and it is a high end buffet. (Charlie and I just got back from SFO and the breakfast buffet at the Marriott was $35.00 a person). We will make sure there are donuts, juices and rolls in the hospitality room if you would just prefer continental breakfast in your rooms.
Any questions-contact Charlie or Me (Ed says computers are not his strong suit and we don't mind helping him out). Looking forward to seeing everyone in Staten Island in September!

Where Are You From? NJ/SD

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4

Re: 2018 DMAC Conference in Staten Island NY 9/13 - 9/17

I looked up Broadway Matinees last night. While we are in NYC the following shows are playing- Anastasia, Come from Away, Chicago, Once on This Island, Stomp, Frozen, Mean Girls, Avenue Q, Gazillion Bubbles Show, Escape to Margaritaville, Puffs, and Getting the Band Back Together. Most start between 2-2:30 and run 2-3 hours. IF there is enough interest in one play-we could see about getting discount tickets. Prices range from $50- $200 a person (starting prices for the rear mezzanine. I checked out Front Mezzanine for Chicago and saw that I could get first row FRONT Mezz for $139.00 each. The other alternative is to go to TKTS Booth for Same Day tickets. These are discounted tickets that have not been sold for that day's performance and can be up to 50% up if you aren't picky about where you sit or what you see.

OK here is the site to book your room at the HIlton for the Meet

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/E/EWRSIGI-ODMS-20180912/index.jhtml

Telephone is 1-718-0477-2400 and the code for DMAC is ODMS
YOu give them the dates you want. The meet will be 9/13- 9/17 but you can add two extra days before or after the meet at the $139.00 plus tax group rates.
FYI taxes on $139.00 in NYC bring the rate to a total of $163 a night

Peggy & Charlie, thanks for lending a hand to Ed to get what sounds like a great event off to a start. I know Ed's been working hard on this one. I'll be making my reservation as soon as I get back from the holiday to make sure I get Frances and I's room. We did the "Big Apple" a year ago and took in Phantom of the Opera, what a fantastic play and had a great time in the city! I urge all Durantonians that even contemplate attending to make your reservations soon and plan on attending. You won't want to miss this one!

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Phone is 718-477-2400 not 718-0477-2400 Sorry about the extra 0

I have tried a couple of times to get on the list to let everyone know I am not going to be there this time. seems like I have trouble getting my puter to send the note . Sorry but this time I cant make it. Just cant bring myself to going to New York. Just getting to old for the city driving. I was hoping my Grand son would be going and maybe he would drive -but he cant make it either. I dont know how many I have been to but it has been a lot. Hate to miss one but thats how it goes.
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

Ken- I get the not driving alone part-especially with my stiff joints. Any members out there that Ken can hitch a ride with IF your driving to Staten Island. And if not-the meet will NOT be the same without Yukon Jack!

Ken, that's not good news and you simply need to go and that's final! Listen, why not drive to Ontario and visit with all your relatives, come to our home, come early and stay as long as you want and then we'll travel together from our home. Bring Norma too this time. You won't need to worry over the driving and we'll have a ton of fun. You've got some time to think it over but we'd really enjoy your company.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

Julie and I have booked our room. Yes, the wife WILL be joining me this time. I put my foot down and insisted she and I work out the issues with the little ones..... and I might have mentioned Chocolate too.........😜

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Happy Thanksgiving to all our Durant
Members.
Dorothy and I are Booked at the Hotel.
Ken Brink

Where Are You From? Muskegon

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Brian-It's about time you brought Julie!

Thanks Don and Brigit for offering to get "Yukon Jack" to NYC!

Sorry folks---Norma says no--not for her. This one I guess I am going to miss. First one in many years but some time that happens Many thanks Don for the kind offer. Maybe some other time
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

Just a reminder-we need everyone who is thinking of attending the 2018 meet to register ASAP. Rooms being held are limited! And this being the nicest hotel on Staten Island-it WILL fill up fast!. You can always cancel without a penalty by the August 13 deadline. Believe me when I say there will be no rooms left by then. Again dates are Thursday September 13-17 for the meet. You can add two days before and/or two days after the meet at the club's $139 plus taxes a night rate!

Cathy & I will be there!!
Room booked........

Frank

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? Star, Durant , Devaux

Just made reservations so Annjean and I will be there. Glad to hear Brian's better half will be attending.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Well we are moving along- Don, Ken, Brian, Frank and Bill along with us have booked 7 of the 15 rooms being held. That leaves 8 left on what we were allowed to hold. So, if you are planning on coming-NOW is the time to book. The Hilton only need your credit card number to HOLD the room-they will not CHARGE your card until you show up and stay. You can cancel up until they close our booking without a penalty (actually I think you have even longer to cancel, but I will have to check that out again,. Charlie and I remember her saying up to a week before the meet-you could cancel). If you check the hotel out on any of the hotel sites they will tell you there are only one or two rooms still available on the dates we will be there. So please book now-we would hate for any of you to miss this NYC/Staten Island Meet!

Cyn and I are booked, see you there.

Where Are You From? Port Hueneme, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant Deluxe Sedan

Well your Pres and the First Lady Frances has a reservation booked. See you in September. Does anybody know if it's worth renting a car, or would it be better to find a shuttle service from Newark, NJ airport? Plenty of time, but just checking.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Mike - the intro for the hotel says they offer a complimentary shuttle from Newark Liberty airport so that should be the cost effective way to do it if you don't need a car. Here's a link to the specifics:

http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/new-york/hilton-garden-inn-new-york-staten-island-EWRSIGI/about/amenities.html

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star Touring

I contacted the Hilton to make sure the shuttle was included. Here is Lacqua's response, "We offer complimentary service to and from Newark Airport and the Staten Island Ferry. Overnight guests are eligible for these services. The shuttle books on a first come/first serve basis.
When you have your confirmed travel itinerary, please call our Front Desk to schedule any shuttles needed. They will then check availabilty and book said shuttle.You can reach our Front Desk by calling (718) 477-2400, Ext 0"
I have also checked on rooms booked. IF you have not booked a room for the meet you are treading on thin ice. There are only a few rooms left of the ones we were able to hold for this event.After they are booked you are at the mercy of what is left in the hotel. Since this IS the nicest hotel on SI, they will be booked solid by August (if not before). So, if you are thinking of coming- BOOK NOW! You can always cancel before the meet without a penalty. And they are NOT going to charge your credit card until you arrive.

Thanks Peg for checking on this for me, I appreciate it. That's probably the way Frances and I will go, since there is no real need for a rental car. Everybody, you heard her, get those reservations in, even if there is a possibility you will be going! You can always cancel prior to the event!. I spoke with Ed recently and it is going to be a great event for everyone you won't want to miss.

Hi folks:
Sorry that Mary Carolyne and I will not be able to make the meet. We have a Convention every year that is the same week. I would really have liked to attend.
I am sure you will all have a great time.

Gord

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Limited, Leaside, Ontario

Hi all, made hotel reservations today. We will arrive a day early and stay a day later. Bert & Sonia

Where Are You From? American canyon cal.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars

Gordon we will miss you and Mary Carolyne this year. It isn't like you two to miss two back to back DMAC events! Merry Christmas to you both!

Made our reservations yesterday. Looking forward to seeing everyone in September. Hope everyone has a Happy Holidays!

Tom & Lisa

Where Are You From? Grand Junction Colorado

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe, 1929 Durant 663 & 666

The Durant Motors Automobile Club