Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shifting a 4 speed transmission - any comments?

Shift pattern on 4 speed is using circle with north to the top or to the dashboard. First; left bottom south-west quarter. second; left top north-west quarter. third; right bottom south-east quarter. top or fourth; right top north-east quarter. Reverse further to the right outside the top quarter. push against spring resistance then slot into far northeast position.
I have also had differential modified (Range Rover centre) machined to replace low ratio crown wheel and pinion from 4.4 to 3.5 which allows highway cruising at 80 KPH @ 2000revs. I believe the original specs said 3.9 ratio but mine may have been replaced long before coming into my possession. Effectively allows the top gear to be an overdrive. Third will still pull most highway inclines and the lower gears are adequate to move the vehicle on steeper climbs.

Where Are You From? Canberra. Australian Capital Territory

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D66 (6-66)

The Durant Motors Automobile Club