Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chroming

Ken is right. Closest chroming place to Ottawa is in Valleyfield Que and its still expensive. We used to have a few chroming places here years ago in the 60's but they are long gone thanks to the Govmt. Can't give you an exact date as I don't have a bill, it was special order cash thing no tax, but I had my rad shell and crank hole cover blasted and powder coated after much pitting filling on shell, with Extreme Chrome/clear, Polyester/Acrylic, High Gloss it says on the sample, at RLD Industries Ltd, 4210 Albion Rd. Cost me $300 and they said with the work that had to on the shell filling pits it should have been near $600. Valleyfield at the time wanted $1500 sight unseen as a starting price providing it was just straight chroming no pits, clean metal. Don't recall what Vern Acres said it cost him for a 1937 ? Packard shell rechroming in Valleyfield but a few thousand dollars.

Can't add pics to Forum to show you what mine looks like thanks to Photobucket but time frame of prices was 2007 range when I added the after pic to my CD April 2008. Steve Mercier was going to have his D60 manifold Cermakrome by RLD just after I got my shell back. http://www.rldindustries.com/

Lad out near North Gower with Essex's just silver painted his cars shells / bumpers with a brush as he can't afford chroming.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

Not shiny like chrome but one heck of a lot cheaper with powder coating.

Norm

Bill, it might be worth a vacation from the Great White North to Arizona in order to get a good deal on chroming. I get the same story from everyone on the prohibitive costs in Ontario due to govt regulation. I like the looks of Norms radiator and will look into powder coating. I have found no one with experience with spray on chrome which has moved from Pickering On, to Brighton. (voodoo air paint) Thanks for you input everyone.
Jim

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Jim, Yes that would be the way to do it, plan your vacation down here....In addition to getting your chrome plating done here in Yuma, we have a little border town called Los Algadones, Mexico which is the dental capital of the world, where you can get your dental work done for 10-20% of what it would cost in the States...If you have an R.V. I have 2 large lots across the street from my house, or heck just use my trailer.

Norm, since I could not find a set of B-40 Flint disc wheels and rims I have re-machined/converted a set of 1927 Chevy disc wheels with demountable rims to fit the Flint, they are 21" rather than 20" but should work fine, plus tires will be cheaper for this size...Anyway, I will be picking them up at the powdercoating shop today, they are going to powder "clearcoat" over the color for additional gloss, The black rims will be glossy enough by double coating the black.....Was wondering if your radiator shroud was clear coated?

Bill

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? several

Hi Bill ... It was so long ago I can't recall but it seems to me it was. Rad shell and crank hole cover look the same as they did almost 10 years ago.

Powder coating just jogged my mind there was a truck rim place in St Jacobs Ont that powder coated truck rims, and the boss allowed one of the employees to do the same with wire wheels of Ford A owners vehicles or other vintage vehicles on his own time. Wheels were blasted first with a few other steps and you got back nice shiny wire wheels in the colour you wanted. Funny it hasn't been mentioned for some time in the Radshell (CCA Ford A club here). Perhaps the lad retired that did it. Bast was the name I think this is the place. It says powder coating in its write up. https://tirecraft.com/dealer/bast-tirecraft-waterloo/

I hope you had Chevy rim centers offset so the Flint goes up and down as it rolls along. ha ha. We used to have a Ford T here used in parades where all 4 wheels were offset and the clown car went up / down each corner of the car as it rolled along. No idea where that thing got to. Smart idea to use Chevy disc wheels which will allow a more common tire / tube.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Dominion built 614 Sedan

I picked up my Powdercoated disc wheels and rims, also had them powdercoat the backup rings and trim cones (or whatever they are called) I think they came out good, these were the 6 hole Chevy wheels that I converted to 5 hole and enlarged centers to fit Flint...Will have Rick hang a picture...The clear gloss over the blue really makes the difference....I am thinking that I will paint the body a darker Blue with black fenders as original, this should give the Flint a sport look, much like the A-22 sport touring schiem....We have used this powdercoating shop for our sandblasting for our bodyparts as well, they use a fine sand and just charge by the hour for blasting.

I sent the bumpers from my 31 Durant model 619 to Bill and he took them over to Krazy Chrome AKA Yuma Chrome last week. They said it will take four weeks to finish.

Looking forward to Christmas :-)

Rick

Where Are You From? Silicon Valley, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

The finished bumpers came back today from Krazy Chrome in Yuma Az.
They came out amazing, it's now hard to believe they were in such bad shape.
Total time was about five weeks during the holiday season, that's pretty good in my book.

Thanks to Bill Hoaglan for all his help!

Rick

Before

front
left

After

front2
front3
left2

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Two of them

Re: Chroming and Powder Coating

I was at a local Les Schwab tire dealer recently to get a flat fixed. I found out they do powder coating on wheels. They said they could prep and powder coat the wheels for my 55 Oldsmobile for $25 per wheel.
I have a powder coat system of my own, but I can not prep and powder coat the wheels myself for that low price. I plan to have them powder coat my wheels before putting on a new set of tires this spring.
If you want to powder coat wheels, this is a place to check out.

Where Are You From? Ellensburg, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Hey Rick,

I was by the chrome shop and saw your bumpers right after they were striped, they looked like pieces of deck railing off the Titanic, I thought their was no hope for them....when they were finished I asked how many times they needed to build with copper and sand to fill the pitting and he said four times....Anyway, my plating came out great as well...

I have talked with Armando Gonzalez the new owner of Krazy Chrome here in Yuma and he said that he will work with the Durant Club on getting your parts chromed...He said the best way if interested in placing a mail order would be to first email pictures and he would give you a "not to exceed " price quote (that means that when he would recieve the actual order the price would not go up from the quote given but could in fact go down) he can give a more accurate quote with detailed pictures with good desctiption of the parts and let him know that you are with the Durant Club, he said It may be a day or two before he could get back with the quote....Also, with more club orders their pricing should go down and that Rick's and my orders will have gotten the ball rolling... Armando also mentioned that for the Canadians that he can ship to a pick-up point on the U.S. side of the border if wanted (you would want to talk with him on that).....I live in the area and can be a contact person and can check orders when and if needed during the winter months, just as long as It doesn't become a full time job...Hope this is of help...Bill

Krazy Chrome
2451 E. Burr St.
Yuma, AZ 85365
(928) 783-4639
Armando Gonzalez
armando.gonzalez@karzicon.net

Posting pic for Phil Peters

Phil-s-radiator-shell

Do You own a car built by Durant? 3 or 4

Chroming

Thanks Bill-Armando did a great job on my radiator shell and was much better pricing then what I was quoted in the NW. Phil

Where Are You From? portland, OR

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 Model 60

The Durant Motors Automobile Club