Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Some Past History Of Rugby in Australia

Robert and Margaret Heath
We believe there were 13 Durant Star models 1921/22 that came to Australia and something the same went to New Zealand in 1922 or 23. My Fathers Diary records shows he ordered his 1924 Rugby F model in early August 1923.It arrived late in November 1924. He said after he took delivery,his friends and himself celebrated long into the evening.One of my close Friends has a Star 1922 model which he says he is the second owner beautifully restored. I also understand after talking to a Gentleman from South Australia, that Rugby's started arriving there in the middle of 1924 in Boxes to be assembled by Richards and Son of Adelaide, that I am not sure of but the Guy was very confident of his facts. No, I have no idea if Durant engines were used during World War 2 by the Japanese.

Where Are You From? Armidale 2350 Australia.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes. Durant Rugby 1924 model.

We believe there were 13 Durant Star models 1921/22 that came to Australia and something the same went to New Zealand in 1922 or 23. My Fathers Diary records shows he ordered his 1924 Rugby F model in early August 1923.It arrived late in November 1924. He said after he took delivery,his friends and himself celebrated long into the evening.One of my close Friends has a Star 1922 model which he says he is the second owner beautifully restored. I also understand after talking to a Gentleman from South Australia, that Rugby's started arriving there in the middle of 1924 in Boxes to be assembled by Richards and Son of Adelaide, that I am not sure of but the Guy was very confident of his facts. No, I have no idea if Durant engines were used during World War 2 by the Japanese.I would not be surprised if Australia had used them as I had to rebuild my Rugby Motor,we spoke to a guy on phone in Sydney and he said he had 53 Rugby engines stored in a shed where he reconditioned all types of Motors.

Many Durant products were sent from the Canadian plant ( British Commonwealth Country like us)in crates to state capital cities in Australia and assembled with locally made bodies. My D65 was fitted with a Holdens built roadster body originally. My 1930 614 fitted with Ruskin built sedan body all wood frame which differs from USA all steel body. Some cars were fully imported from New Jersey plant. I would estimate Durant made cars i have come across in old DFR registry and other cars i have found would be around the hundred mark. This includes Rugby Durant Flint and Continental. The Rugby is the most popular.

Where Are You From? Biloela Queensland Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? D65 and 614

Hi Sid, Thanks for your comment. I am trying to get a few Durant followers together here in Australia to meet in different places.Do you know of any enthusiasts who might be interested? The DMAC in the US would like to see a Chapter formed here. DMAC are a highly organized large group there with the aim of promoting William Durant's Vehicles and Club functions. My car is on display at the Inverell Motor Museum NSW.
Regards Robert Heath.

Rugby Trucks
New York Auto Show 1928 Grand Central Palace

Rick

Do You own a car built by Durant? two of them

The local car club that I am a member of has 3 Rugby Members.Two Tourers and my van.

Where Are You From? Bjundaberg Queensland

Do You own a car built by Durant? 15cwt Light Van D40 Rugby

No bars in the grille. Bonnet flutes different to usual 1928 (closest to camera, rear car has usual bonnet flutes). Might have been pre production prototypes.

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 2

Robert and Margaret- We are soooo happy that the DMAC meet fired you two up to go and research are Australian Durant Cars! Enjoying reading all the updates of information you have found! Hopefully you two can make another meet in the future. Charlie and I will contact you when we decide to make a trip your way!

Where Are You From? NJ/SD

Do You own a car built by Durant? 4

Hi Russel. I am after any onfo you might have come across about Mason Road King Speed Trucks.
"Mason Truck, founded by A.C. Mason in cooperation with William C. Durant, was a U.S. truck manufacturer based in Flint, Michigan. As a subsidiary of Durant Motors, Mason Truck built Road King Speed Trucks in the early 1920s." Wikipedia.
Dad, now 91 has decided to sell a lifetime collection of vintage machinery. The Mason was bought 45 years ago and put in the back of a shed and forgotten about. Chassis and drive line are complete, body work all gone although it looks as though it was a spartan model any how. Will be selling Febuary 24 2018.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Colin.

Where Are You From? Melbourne Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? Mason Road King Speed Truck

The Durant Motors Automobile Club