Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hurricane Irma

Hello Durantonians;
Well Frances and I are hunkering down and riding the hurricane out in our home just East of Orlando. Plenty of water, canned soups, comfort foods, kerosene lamps (One lucky thing about collecting them for a number of years, I have about 7 old ones ready to go) plenty of batteries, will fill up the washer, sinks, bath tubs with water and the propane tank on the gas grill is full. Looks like it will loose some of it's oomph by the time it gets up here on Sunday night/Monday to a class 2 or 3 hurricane, we'll have to see. There aren't too many members in Florida and only 1 Flint in Sebring which is South of here. We have some Durant's not far from Orlando, and a Devaux in the Jacksonville area. All we have to do now is wait and ride it out. Fortunately my home, built in 1994 had mandated hurricane requirements when built and since then with all the hurricanes we've had, there has been no damage, only trees down. But you always worry about the Tornadoes that can jump out with the turbulent weather. Came home from North Carolina last night and Interstate 95 and Interstate 75, the two major roads out were bumper to bumper and car after car with no breaks. All the Northbound rest areas were full with no room for anymore cars and no open spot, even on the grass, open. Gas stations are running out of fuel because of the numbers of cars on the road, fortunately I have a diesel pick up and there is plenty of diesel. South Florida which is about 3 hours South of me will get the brunt. Worried about on of my son's and his pregnant girlfriend. She's due on the 19th of September and is riding out the storm where they live in Ft. Myers, Florida on the gulf coast. Nest few days will tell.

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Re: Hurricane Irma

Hang in there Buddy! If you chicken out, you're always welcome over here in North Texas! Sure hope you come thru and manage to make it to Modesto! All we need then is an earthquake!

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Wishing the best Mike.

We went through Andrew, I at at the marina down south and with wife and kids further North at the Lauderdale house. It was some experience. The worst always seems to be the weeks following with the recovery. High prices, waiting in long lines and repairs. It sounds like you are well prepared. Glad your not any further South. Keep us all informed please....

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Thanks Brian and Don, been through a number of these myself and ya don't get much sleep when it comes through. I am worried about my Son, his expecting girlfriend though. She's due to give birth to another Grandson September 19th so she is close. They live in Ft Myers area and have decided to stay. Fortunately they are not on the beach or in a tidal surge area, but still the area can have devastation. Things should start to get breezy and rainy starting late tonight through Monday night. Even in the Orlando area, no gas at stations, grocery stores empty already and everything including the airports shutting down this afternoon. Supposed to be a category 4 as it rolls right up the middle of the state. Hey Don, the one thing positive, if there is anything positive about a hurricane, is that we have plenty of notice to get prepared. With the tornadoes, and earthquakes, you just don't get the time to react. Going to be a looooong Sunday and Monday for us.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

We will be thinking about and praying for you and your family. Keep us informed how you make out.

Where Are You From? Grand Rapids, MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star, 1928 Durant

Mike:
We will be thinking about you and Frances and family over the weekend. We have had several heavy rains up in Canada this year, with flooding in areas where not usual. As the British say " keep a stiff upper lip"

All the best.

Gordon & Mary Carolyne

Where Are You From? Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 Frontenac built by Dominion Motors Ltd.

Hi Mike...
Cathy & I will be keeping you and the family in our thoughts and prayers. we have family in the Tampa/ St Pete area so been watching this storm closely.ake care Buddy.....
Cathy & Frank

Where Are You From? hookstown pa

Do You own a car built by Durant? Stars Durants DeVaux

Mike, don't forget to call on those of us in the North should you need any assistance after the storm. There are a lot of club members that will work together to help. The power outages, water issues and such really set in after the adrenaline and storm pass as I'm sure you know from your past experiences. Wishing the best for you and your family.

Thinking of you and yours, at this terrible time...
Wishing you all safety.. I have family in Tampa, and I worry for them as well..
~Carol and Larry

Where Are You From? S. Vermont

Ok Durantonians, your Pres had a wild night last night. I'd have preferred it to refer to the long hours at the hospitality room at the DMAC get togethers but from about 9:00 P.M to about 4:00 AM sustained winds 60 to 70 mph with gusts over 100. Surveying the damage today, no structural damage to the house, one tree down, lots of broken branches and debris, and no loss of power for us. The one good thing is our utilities are all underground so no downed power lines to deal with. Curfew in effect until 7:00 P.M. All Frances and my family members accounted for and OK. Dodged another one! Last year when hurricane Mathew came through our area I was at Hershey manning the DMAC booth, with Gary K., was determined not to let Frances tackle this one along for sure!

Glad to hear this Mike. I think you will find the total DMAC website visits these past couple days are pretty high as I'm sure I'm not the only one repeatedly checking in to see how you faired.

See you soon in CA.........

Mike
I am sure you know that our well wishes were with you all the way. Myself and Norma were away till today but we were thinking of you guys in the path of the storm and just crossing all the fingers for yo . Sure is good news to hear everything worked out okay.
See you at the meet
Ken

Where Are You From? Kamloops B C Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 deluxe rumble seat coupe -Model 6 14

The Durant Motors Automobile Club