Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
That darn nut!!

I removed the bumpers from the 619 today, Lots of rust man o man.
The rear bumpers were easy, in fact they almost fell off they were so lose.
But the front bumper was another matter.

The nut holding the carriage bolt on the passenger side of the bumper was very, very, tight. I took an extra long crowbar to give me enough leverage to turn the nut. It squealed so loud my neighbor's dog started barking, no joke! But that was the easy part.

The nut on the driver's side carriage bolt was is really bad shape as the outside of the bolt had rusted away and the inside rusted to the shaft. I was not able to get a bite of the nut to turn it. So I removed the front bumper anyway.

Do you know of a way to get that darn nut out of there??
See below

Rick

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 of them

Re: That darn nut!!

Rick Botti
I

Do you know of a way to get that darn nut out of there??
See below

Rick

Rick, similar situation for me on my Franklin. After working on the nut end with one bolt I decided to work the top, carriage side on the next. I made a small pilot hole on the top of the bolt head and then drilled with a larger diameter bit. When I got close to the bottom of the head the head popped off. I was then able to drive the remainder of the bolt through with a couple slight taps. It worked much easier drilling the top and left no scars. My attempt on the nut side did not fair as well.
Replacement bolts, new, were easy to come by in chrome but the Franklin was nickel in finish. Thus far nobody has noticed the almost invisible difference between the chrome and nickel but should it ever get to bother me I learned that the plating shop can easily dip the bolts and remove the chrome top layer leaving the nickel layer underneath as a perfect finish.

Where Are You From? Brighton MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

Re: That darn nut!!

Goal Achieved!
A friend recommended a machine shop that was able to remove the nut and save the bolt. :-)

Where Are You From? Fremont, CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 2 of them

The Durant Motors Automobile Club