Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Vacation to the plating shop

I dropped off a set(4) of the rear bumperettes for a rear mounted spare Durant 6-14 just last week at a local(Oregon) plater. He charges $75.00 each so $300.00 for the set. Time will be about a month, as they looked busy. I've heard that it was okay in some judging classes to go to chrome plating on exterior parts, instead of stopping at nickel. The reason I'd heard is that with today's harsher atmosphere the nickel would tarnish so fast. Might be an urban legend. Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

Hey Brian
Thanks for the great video, always interested in finding out how things are done. Glad you went with Nickel which was correct for your car, so many just do chrome. Also wished we'd known you had those "D" metal buttons on your bumper. The club has been looking for one to use as a master to make molds to copy for other members to use. I had an antique parts place in California state they had one that they were going to sell, but they were moving and did not know where it was. I think they forgot about me. You have a great looking car!

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

Mike Linthicum
Hey Brian
Thanks for the great video, always interested in finding out how things are done. Glad you went with Nickel which was correct for your car, so many just do chrome. Also wished we'd known you had those "D" metal buttons on your bumper. The club has been looking for one to use as a master to make molds to copy for other members to use. I had an antique parts place in California state they had one that they were going to sell, but they were moving and did not know where it was. I think they forgot about me. You have a great looking car!

Mike

Mike
You know I am happy to support the club any way I can so those "D"bumper buttons are available for use when needed.

See you soon at the gathering.

Where Are You From? Brighton,MI

Do You own a car built by Durant? Proudly

Hi Brian,
Thanks for posting the video. Brings back memories of when I owned a plating shop in Morristown, TN. named Universal Plating Co. in the 1970's. Back then I was charging $125.00 for bumper bars/pair, such as you had done on your Durant. Most everyone preferred chrome which was the next step after nickel.

Hot, dirty and unhealthy process, but was happy to have had the experience.

Yates

Where Are You From? Newport , NC

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 Flint

Hey Ross;
Not with any car being entered for judging in any AACA event. Nickel on cars prior to 1925 for Oldsmobile's, 1928 for other makes, unless literature documents it, after that chrome OK. I always vote for whatever is the way it came from the factory.

Mike

Where Are You From? Oviedo, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1928 Durant Model 65 4 door sedan from Elizabeth, NJ Plant

The Durant Motors Automobile Club