Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
steering column

The steering column on my D40 has a bend in it. Is it supposed too? I wouldn't think so as they have concentric rods that have to turn inside each other. The steering wheel does not want to come off either. I fear that I will break it if I hammer on it too much. Any ideas out there?
Jim

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

Re: steering column

Hi Jim.

I do not know about the bend in the steering column, but it was probably not designed that way.

To remove bolts, nuts and other old parts which are difficult to remove such as your steering wheel, I start by cleaning the threads, parts, etc as much as possible using a wire brush, my Dremel tool or whatever can remove as much rust, dirt and corrosion as possible. Then I give it a good application of WD40 and let it sit for a few days or a week. I may even give it a second application and let it sit for a while longer to give the WD40 plenty of time to penetrate before trying to remove the part. This has worked exceptionally well for me on many parts. The secret is to give the WD40 time to penetrate. Then use a steering wheel puller to pull the steering wheel. Slow and easy usually gives good results.

Let me know if this works for you.

Bob

Where Are You From? Ellensburg, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes, 1930 407s and a 614

Re: steering column

Thanks Bob. I have the WD40 on it now but was a little hesitant to put a puller on it but maybe slow and easy is the right way to go. Will let you know how it goes.
Jim

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

The Durant Motors Automobile Club