Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Valve adjustment problem

Good Morning. What is the engine's mechanical state at this point? Has it recently been rebuilt? More specifically, have the valves/seats been reconditioned/replaced in the recent past? Does the valve adjustment mechanism lock appropriately?

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The engine was rebuilt before I got it so it likely doesn't have hardened seats. Its a strong runner and I've put 3000 miles on it. I judt drove it ten miles at 45 mph with the engine running smoothly. No missing.

My restorer and I both believe we got the lock nut tight.

Where Are You From? Greenbrae CA

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

Vince: If it were my engine I would start the detective work and see what is different about the valves/lifters that continue to go out of adjustment verses the ones that don't. Possible that you have a mix of valve manufacturers and those valves are inferior. Mark the screw adjustment relative to the lifter that it screws into to verify that it is not moving. Compare the valve seats and valve faces to the valves that stay in good adjustment. If you continue to run the engine with zero valve clearance, it will eventually burn those valves. Just some ideas to try to solve the problem.

Where Are You From? Hyattsville Md

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club