Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HEADLIGHTS

HOW DO YOU SEPERATE THE RINGS FROM THE HEADLIGHT BUCKETS? IT IS A 1924 STAR TOURING CAR. MODEL F

Where Are You From? COLUMBUS NWEBRASKA

Do You own a car built by Durant? YES

Re: HEADLIGHTS

Those rings can be stubborn creatures. When facing the headlight, the ring needs to twist to your right about 3/4" - 1". Once twisted the ring pulls off, but typically you have to gently tap it off. Gently follow the ring 360 degrees and tap it forward noting if it's moving at all while doing so. On the chrome ring, you will see four chrome rivets and they are the part that fit into a grooved metal clip on the headlight pot. Be careful later on with those clips as they are hard beggars to find these days. On seized rings that have not moved in 80-90 years... I put duct tape around the entire ring, covering only the width of the chrome ring. Then fold the tape back over the ring so the sticky side is up. You now have a perfect sticky way to grip onto it and twist it without slipping.

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Push the ring in about 3/16 inch and turn to the left. When the ring stops turning is is ready to pull forward.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Oh gosh, right or left twist? It's been a while since I took those off, you best follow the other Don's tip on the twist direction and the gentle even push inwards a little bit. I have Leaside Canada produced Stars, maybe Billy had left and right mixed up on both sides of the border just to make things interesting. Wouldn't be the first time would it? .

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club