Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Axle straightening

I failed to mention in the original post, I have a straight axle

Where Are You From? Normal IL

Do You own a car built by Durant? Just parts really

Yes they can. Do not use heat! Use a vertical press and a set of V blocks. Using a dial indicator find the high spot and press down in between the 2 blocks. A little at a time. Repeat this procedure until you have eliminated any run out. A machine shop can do this for you if you don't have the tools.

Where Are You From? Indiana

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Boy did I do a poor job describing the problem, the axle in question is a front axle

That wasn't you! These darn little phones! Your description was perfect. My interpretation was terrible.

Where Are You From? Indiana

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Front axles can definitely be straightened. Just take care to insure both castor angles are exactly the same and the same with camber.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

Thanks for the help.

Are these axles forgings, similar to Ford I beams? I began cleaning up the axle with a flap wheel today, it seems to grind rather slowly compared to mild steel which leads me to believe they are of a substantial nickel content.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club