Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Timing

Hi Jim,

When turning the camshaft to "just close" the exhaust valve make sure that you turn the camshaft in the direction of rotation when engine is running or you could be closing the exhaust valve on the wrong side of the lobe...Just make sure that the intake valve is just starting to open following the just closing of the exhaust valve and you should be ok....I'm not sure of the link count withought looking it up or if you can time distributor irreguardless of where the generator gear is located.

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? '25 Flint H-40 2door / '25 B-40 Touring / '29 D-40 Coupe / '23 A-22 Touring

Thanks Bill.
Yes, the intake valve was opening after the exhaust closed. This is my second whack at the timing and I can see my mistake of the first time. I believe I have it right now. By chance do you know the torque for the head bolts?
Jims

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-40

Jim,

Here is a torque chart that I use, it gives the torque for grade #2-#5 and #8....Personaly I wouldn' go much over 35 lb, for a 7/16" studs/bolts..... after installing a few helicoils in these old cast blocks I like to error on the light side....http://constructionmisc.tpub.com/TM-5-3710-200-13P/css/TM-5-3710-200-13P_22.htm

Do You own a car built by Durant? '25 Flint H-40 2door / '25 B-40 Touring / '29 D-40 Coupe / '23 A-22 Touring

Bill
Thanks again. I was thinking 45 ft. lbs so I will go your way. I hope to hear it running in the next week or so. May be back to you if I run into difficulties.
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

Hi Bill:
Just to let you know that I fired it up yesterday and it ran great. First time it has run in 47 years. If you are interested, check out my project on www.jimmys-durant.com and go to the last page video. You can see it running. Thanks for you interest.
Jim

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D-40

Jim,

Yes, It's always fun bringing life back in these old engines after setting for so many years....Be sure and re-torque the head after it has been ran a bit and warmed up....Looking at pictures on your site it appears that you had as much a problem digging your Durant out of that barn as I did my Flint when I bought it a couple months back.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club