Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1928 8-80 sedan

Not sure you can see this. I have a 1928 Dykes and 1943 I picked up in the mid 60's. 1928 lists all the 1927 cars by 4 / 6 / 8 cyl and gives you a wealth of info. Model, engine used, wheelbase, bore and stoke, displacement, carb used, if pistons cast iron or aluminum, who made the ignition, who made the clutch, axles front and back, tire sizes etc etc. Three of the Loco's have cast iron pistons other has aluminum. Clutch is Borg and Beck. Ignition DeJon. This also has B&B for 48 carb, which I knew long ago. Unfortunately Dykes has little or no info on Billy's cars in rest of the book, they hardly get mention.

photo IMG 3_0001.jpg

When I said about dropping Loco from Phil's list, that was months back and Phil has done that. I continued on my own trying to come up with missing Loco info for my two listings. One by engine type only, the other by car model Durant, Star, and so on.

About vehicles made or not the Co's put out brochures ahead of vehicles coming off the drawing board and those are also not always correct. I can think of one the 1933 Conny cars with 4 models but roadster not produced, yet its on the brochure. Another is an ad for a 613 Durant. No such thing, yet in the numbering system we go from 610 to 619 and space for a 613. Now we go the other way and no vins for a 633 nor any info on that model other than in the Leaside aftermarkets, yet two exist still and vins start L 1001 on the coupe vin plate, and L 1006 on the sedan. We can't get a handle at all on a 1930 - 32 ?? 416 Rugby only in the Leaside catalogues that used the W8 and again no vin info. Probably T 1001 and up, since trucks didn't get the alpha A - P like the cars did 1931 to 1933 at Dominion. Existing Rugby's 31 / 32 have T. Goodness knows what Dominion would have used on cars if the plant had continued and they ran out of alpha.

Like with Billy's empire more questions than answers in a number of cases.

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

well, from that chart listed above it shows 8-80 having aluminum pistions and p b&b carburetor. From the car repair manual and phycally seeing them I know this to be false. I also have this book and the interchangeable parts book.

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 flint/27 locomobile

Look again, Mike you are misreading the info. The 8-80 shows Stromberg carb and the P.B&B refers to Borg and Beck clutch. Next row down is Tranny with War which is Warner. Front axle shows Sal which is Salisbury axles.

What you don't see as the book pages are bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 scanner and give the various abbreviations used on all the pages for cars. Bottom of the page and you can see some on my attachment, and also right side of second page. Seems there are similar pages for truck and motorcycle but at 3:30 am in the morning I wasn't about to look those up. Couldn't sleep last night, probably worrying about surgery and medical problems, so at 1 am I got on the pc.

Registry Steve created has the Spec's on each model of all Billy's vehicles and off shoot Co's, year by year for that model, Vin ranges, body styles etc. Much the same as Terry's Durantcars but more info than Terry's and more accurate. Dykes matches what Steve has and Steve didn't use Dykes. I understand Steve has boxes of sales brochures where he can get some of the info, plus various vin books. Just like misinfo in the 60 / 70's, period books don't always match or are correct. I see lots of errors / omissions in Don's Bulbs 1937 online book for lenses / lights etc. Guide universal catalog #806 lamps and lamp parts.
Under Durant, page 61, 1931 / 32 lists models with (Canada Only) Depress Beam is correct for all Dominion vehicles 1931 - 33, but we didn't made 610, 612, 619. and 611 is missing .. Don't see 407 or 618 anywhere. Models shown 1929, 30, 31 lense is correct US / Can but none of those models came out in 1929. First one was 614 in Jan 1930. 615 / 616 are Rugby Trucks. Durant Truck the 617 was car only. Still a handy book to check things out what lenses fit what vehicles as long as you know the errors / omissions.

Found Chris a body yet he can adapt to a Loco frame ? Flint, Caddy, Packard, etc.

Norm, did you say you might have found a body that might work?
Thanks
Chris

Where Are You From? Colorado

Do You own a car built by Durant? In the process of a purchase

No Chris .. I was asking Mike if he found one yet for you. Doesn't help with Governments US / Can trying to get vehicles off the road over X yrs old be it current or vintage and junk yards vanishing like melting snow, that had our cars. One of our Prairie Provinces won't even allow a car over 20 years be brought into the Province be it vintage or not.

There's a wrecking yard I have mentioned in Forum before, below Picton Ont who crushed 2000 cars in 2006 to keep the enviro boys away from his place, and one was a 1930 / 31 Durant sedan still on its wire wheels, rad, light's, engine I was sent a pic of taken 2005. You can see rows of square bodied cars rusting in the sun, now all gone. There was another yard below Smiths Falls a number of miles from me, where people would fly in to buy parts for their cars, you name it he had it. Star, Durant, Graham Paige, Ford T / A, Essex, Packard, etc etc. Rows of them. All crushed.

Like we say its a mighty tall order to find a body that might fit your frame / chassis. Its almost like you'd have to have one made like that TV program Restoration Garage that created the 1936 Bugatti Aérolithe from a 16 pic's only. It was all hand made in the shop and you watched its progress program to program, while they also restored other vehicles on the program. Don't know if we ever learned what the final millions cost was for this thing, but I wouldn't want it. Lots of hits in search for this Branford Ont shop.
http://the-guild-of-automotive-restorers.myshopify.com/

http://guildautorestore.com/

You might have to put a non Billy body on your chassis like Caddy, Packard, off some big car, if you knew it would fit.

norm...your answer to carburetor for a model 90 is Stromberg type ox-3 equipped with a air cleaner. Cars numbered 33101 and upward.

Where Are You From? calif

Do You own a car built by Durant? 24 flint/27 locomobile

Thanks Mike I will slot that in the chart right away. Strom OX-3 with 2 11/16 bolt hole CTC. 90 degrees to manifold.

Noted it also on my copy of the Registry info which we have air cleaner already noted.
Yes 33-101 to 33-33,284 1926, 33,285 to 33,430 1927, 33,431 and up 1928 / 29. 1929 built to order to Mar, factory closing.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club