Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A New Set of Wheels

If these springs break terrible rattle occurs. Different front engine plate in previous post is 15L
Sid

Where Are You From? australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes

I decided to go the home grown route on the water pump so I obtained a new shaft and bushings from Phil Peters. I installed the bushings with a press and reamed with a piloted 5/8 ream, .625. The chrome shaft is .624. After hand reaming, I chucked the reamer in the lathe and power burnished the bushings for a minute or so.
The only problem I ran across was that the impeller was not drilled on center. The impeller pin hole in the old shaft was noticeably drilled off center. I aligned the new shaft hole in the impeller as best I could and ream drilled after alignment. The securing pin drove in tight and ought to hold OK.
Three pieces of 1/4" packing rope made for a nice seal and a fresh 1" expansion plug over the end of the shaft finished up the assembly. After a coat of black engine enamel, I'll mount the pump tomorrow.

Now, what do we use for water pump grease these days?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Where Are You From? Texarkana, Tex

Do You own a car built by Durant? And Now, A 1929 Durant D60

Got a few more things taken care of this last couple of weeks. I started to drain and refill the transmission when I found the input shaft extremely limber. This indicates, at least, a bad front bearing. I'll take care of that later. In the meantime, I used the already built tranny from my '27 Star project.
Now, I'll clean and relube the driveshaft and reinstall it.
I replaced the rear spring shackles with 35-42 Chrysler style and they turned out perfect. If I can find a set for the front springs, I'll replace those also.

Photobucket

Work has halted on the engine until I can get some parts from Uncle Gary later this month. I have a roadtrip planned after Thanksgiving to Gary's house and then to an undisclosed location for a pile of Star parts.

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star C touring, 1927 Star M coupe, 1929 Durant D60 Express Wagon

Shackles look good Don...The rubber bushing style will give you a firm quiet ride.

What did you end up doing with your front and rear crankshaft seals? On my W-6 I was able to do a little machine work and use a small block chevy seal (offset style), the front seal was already changed over to a lip seal.

Where Are You From? Yuma, AZ / Leavenworth, WA

Do You own a car built by Durant? A-22 Touring / model 40 Coupe / 25 Flint

I had a brand new rear seal assembly so I used that. The front felt seal was replaced by a Timken seal #471870. This was the only seal that would fit in the chain cover.
See pic, I carefully cut the spot welds on the felt seal retainer. That left a formed retainer that the Timken would fit snugly into. To secure the seal I spot welded three equal places on the new seal to keep it in place.
This seal is sized for a 2" shaft so the vibration balancer journal, which is 2.086" must be cut down to 2" on the lathe. This will give a perfect sealing surface for the new seal.
I can't believe I don't have a pic of the new seal installed. Anyways, anyone performing this modification will know how to orient the seal for proper operation.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The driveshaft universals are in great shape so a cleanup, beadblast, and repaint is all that is required.
I crawled under to lube all the brake linkages and found everything getting stuck or rusted so I'm pulling everything, beadblasting, painting, and relubing and trying to keep it all flying in the same order as original.
After 21 years of sitting idle, my joints would be getting a bit stiff too!

I was able to get a set of springs from Mac Irvine. He is a DMAC member.
He said he had extra sets made so you might check with him

Mac Irvine

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Delivery Van

Could these springs be something in the pre 30 engines ? Not seeing anything in the US or Can aftermarkets for "tappet alignment plunger springs".
Just says to stop Valve Tappet Chatter, replace the tappet assembly. Very common trouble and only remedy to stop it is to replace entire value guide and tappet assembly.

There is "all models"
Valve Tappet Guide Plug 07 cents
Valve Tappet Guide Spring 05 cents
Valve Tappet Guide Screw lock 07 cents

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club