​​​​​​​

Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures 

General Discussion Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Inside Door Handles and Air vents

Hi All,

My project is now back from the paint shop and in pieces that I am slowly
re-assembling. I bought this project in pieces so don't have the benefit of knowing where or how all the pieces
fit together. It has been a learning curve for sure. I have a couple of questions I hope someone can answer or better yet send me a photo. I have looked at the photo section but don't see any pictures of what I am looking for.

1. The two air vents above the front window. How are they held open? Some sort of friction lock? or some sort of a bracket? I don't seem to have anything that would hold these air doors open.

2. Were there some sort of handles on the inside of the doors. The only way I can close my doors while inside is to wind the window down and pull the door shut. There has to be a better way. I can cobble something up but wonder if there was a proper handle when the car was new.

Appreciate your help, this is an awesome forum.

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star (being restored to a delivery service van)

Re: Inside Door Handles and Air vents

Sorry it has taken me so long to get some pictures of my 26 Coup. As you can hopefully see, there is a stairstep bracket in the vent hole that the catch on the vent door engages. As far as the door goes, I have no handles only the indent in the middle of the door. Yes, most of the time I roll down the window to get the door to close (fit and finish not exactly up to 21st century standards :D).

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe

Hi Tom,
Thank you for the pictures and response. Like they say "A pictures worth a thousand words". Sure has helped me understand the air vent. I have the door with the clip but unfortunately I don't appear to have the piece that goes into the opening. I will have to try and make one up.
On the inside door handle I assumed there was some sort pull handle other than the one on the sill.
By now I should know not to assume anything when it comes to a 90 year old car.
Thanks again, your response has help tremendously.

Where Are You From? Kamloops BC Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star (being restored to a delivery service van)

When I was taking the pictures, I first looked in the passenger side and the stairstep wasn't there so I was thinking that the vent door was just held up by friction. Fortunately, I looked at the driver's side and found the stairstep! Also on the door I presume that there was originally a strap the stopped the door from opening up too far. I don't have anything on my doors and am not sure what they would have looked like.

Where Are You From? Grand Junction, CO

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupe

The Durant Motors Automobile Club