Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: title

I do not know how it is working in frorida but in quebec it is not easy to clarified for the title

in 2014 I bought a star sedan (1926 or 1927) for parts, so I got some papers of the cars

maybe it will help you

Where Are You From? Montreal Quebec

Do You own a car built by Durant? star 1926 coupe

Hey Henri,

The people at the Florida licensing office are usually friendly and helpful.

It should be easier than creating a hole new title.

Would it be possible for you to send me a text picture of the papers you have

for the 1926 to my cell phone? My number is 386-871-5223.

Thanks for your help Bruce

Where Are You From? Daytona Beach, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Durant Woody Star [ huckster ]

To all
what is the cost for a title?

Where Are You From? Montreal Quebec

Do You own a car built by Durant? star 1926 coupe

Didn't think it was a big deal to title a vehicle. Lots of hits in Google for lost or duplicate titles and what is required, US or Canada.

Yes one DOT / MOT can be a pain in the butt over another. Been there here and got ticked at the first one just changing owner to myself and I had the 1961 ownership signed off by the wrecking yard in 1961, plus the bill of sale from the lad I bought it from etc. They wanted lawyers / notaries letters, on and on until I just walked out of the place and put it off for a few months in frustration. Next time I went to another outlet and not a bit of fuss at all. Paid the sales tax which is greater of what was paid or present value by an appraiser of old cars, plus fee to transfer. Mentioned to the lady, how would I change the VIN info as it was incorrect before change over. She said write what you want it to be on a piece of paper and give it to me. I did and got ownership paper in my name. In my case the first letter in the VIN was an I and should have been a J. Leaside was T letter under Durant Motors but different alpha letter under Dominion Motors from A to P 1931 - 1933 depending on model and model year.

I would imagine ownership papers get lost on many of the vintage cars tucked in barns / sheds for decades and new owners are faced with same problem. VIN plates rusted or lost. Frank sells new VIN plates and Steve could give a VIN number to fit that time period that we haven't a car registered in the Registry, being used. Just use that info and whatever else they need, bill of sale, present value for sales tax and say orig ownership is lost. In the 60 / 70's when info was lost I know water pump part number or some other part number was used as VIN plus bill of sale just to get the car on the road again. If I recall correctly Ron up above Ottawa Ont who had a 1930 407 had no VIN plate or ownership. He used a part number and car was plated / driven up there and other local towns events with no problem.

In your case Bruce a 1926 Star would be a model F or M and used a W5 engine.
What is awkward is VIN's are based on model year not production year. Model year in the 20's cars was Aug 1 to July 31 of next year. That stopped with the 1930 and up models.
With F the 1926 model year was Aug 1 1925 to Dec 31 1925. The M the model year 1926 is Jan 1 1926 to July 31 1926. 1927 model year is Aug 1 1926 to July 31 1927. So it sounds like your woody would be an M model. As to what plant you choose for VIN plate info would be up to you. Perhaps either Lansing or Elizabeth. The VIN ranges are all the same for the 4 plants on M model. Jan to July 1927 350,000 to 379,999 or Aug to July of 380,000 to 414,999.

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

found a vin plate on ebay the other day but he had no papers for it. Had some nice numbers on it and the letter m. plus it was a built in new jersey on it which I liked because I am from there. do you think it would be possible to title it with that vin tag?

Where Are You From? Daytona Beach, Florida

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Durant Woody Star [ huckster ]

Don't see why not. MOT / DOT don't know its not off your huckster so just go with the flow that the ownership papers got lost over time. M didn't have station wagons / hucksters that was C model and there are a number of Durant / Stars with that kit on them now.

Here's a 1929 Durant one that never was.

photo IMG 3.jpg

Where Are You From? Ottawa Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club