Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Instruction and Operation Manual, Durant 614

The fuel pump on the 22A engine is an AC one. Repair kits are on eBay often with the 6 bolt diaphragm's.

Years ago a lad in England was selling a load of British Ford parts and had AC Fuel Pumps First Aid Repair Kit BD-2 Use only on U and F types. I bought two of them for total cost of $23 to Canada for my 1932 614.
Our pump diaphragm has a threaded shaft to put washers both side and tighten down the nut.
These kids have factory shafts that do no fit our pumps. What I did was cut the shaft off, freeing the diaphragm and then used our shaft. If careful in removing the shaft, you can used the washers that attached.

My pump was in two pieces with diaphragm and the 6 bolts missing. I used an AC pump off a 407 Durant to get the center shaft and the 6 bolts. 407 pump the arm is a different angle and won't work on a 22A engine. If you change the arm then rest of pump is the same.

I'm looking at a site http://shop.citroenclassics.co.uk/fuel-pump-repair-kit-for-ac-fuel-pump-66-1110-p.asp That has almost identical to what I bought. Same 6 bolt diaphragm and shaft I cut off. Might be a bit expensive just to get a diaphragm and toss the rest.

You can make your own diaphragm, just be sure the material is not affected by gas / petrol. One of our members tells me he used a plastic milk bag as a diaphragm to get him home, when his pump failed. Just find it hard to think a plastic milk bag would work long. Mind you belts and lady's nylons have been used as fan belts in an emergency. I witnessed that many years ago when Ottawa's Science and Technology Museum brought out a few cars to join us in an outing. Fellow whipped off his pant's belt and used it on car to get it back to the Museum.

I'd imagine a good many of the AC six bolt diaphragms in eBay and other repair places would work. Just remove the affixed cenrer shaft.

Where Are You From? Ottawa, Ont

Do You own a car built by Durant? Dominion built 1932 614 Sedan

Just found another site http://www.marxparts.com/fuel_pumps.htm
Don't have to buy a kit or remove the center stem.

6 Bolt Fuel Pump Diaphragm

If you just need the diaphragm and not the other gaskets associated with the set above, here it is. 3 1/4" diameter. If the pump you have has a swedged stem/actuator, you would have to do this yourself. We do not sell the type that have the actuators attached.

p/n 3A32...$6.00ea

Great help, thanks again! I have now ordered the fuel pump parts.

The project is going forward, I now have a new gas tank made (the old one was full of sludge/sediment and leaking).

Any idea where to get a fuel tank sender/metering unit, the old one is beyond repairing.

Where Are You From? Finland

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 614

Been there and my tank maker messed it up with square corners where sending unit / float sits so tank will not fit under the frame plate. There's three different shaped tanks for the 1930 to 1932 and I think yours is oval or roundish. Mine is the last type sort of triangle and rounded where the points on a triangle would be.

I was faced with same problem of 40 plus years of what was gas now liquid ? that reeked. My bro and I took off the tank and set it on the shed floor. Next morning this fluid had leaked out, and down the laneway to the road. I'm sure the neighbours really appreciated the odor ... not. lol.

Sending unit as pot metal gears and fused into a blue chunk. What I did was have a Hot Rod shop send me an adjustable length sending unit. (you cut off what you don't need) that covered the ohm needed to be used on our vehicles. Horton Enterprises Inc in Milton Ont. http://www.horton.on.ca/
My bill says Part number SN38 Tank Sender: 90 ohm: 24 inch adjustable: CLA

If you need the rubber cap over the sending unit Steele Rubber Prod in Denver NC has those. Part number 10-0010-44 http://www.steelerubber.com/

DMACer's might have come up with other idea's on the sending unit.

This place repairs the units.

Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company
2 Jacques St.
Worcester, MA 01603
Telephone: +1.508.792.9500
http://atwaterkentmfg.com/

Not related to that part on the car but water pump packing is another where do I get that ? Went to NAPA and they looked at me like I had two heads. Not a clue what it was. Lets try TSC (Tractor Supply Store) .. better, they had heard of it and should be on the floor to buy but was out of it. Ok lets try an actual farm tractor place. Nope but they did sell all sorts of fan belts that had I known my size they would have had one. Then the light came on and lets try a plumbing shop while out in the country. Old taps and farm water pumps still need water pump packing. Fellow said how many feet do you want and I bought 3 feet. More than enough to do a few cars. Now the kicker of me running all over the countryside looking for packing. My neighbour across the road is a retired plumber and he said why didn't you ask me. lol.

Yes, the tank is round/cylinder. I have to take a picture of the new one but here is the old one on the floor. The new tank is a copy of the old one with the fill pipe/gap etc. taken from the old tank. Great metal work and it cost me 200 euros, I think it was a bargain.

Is the sending unit ohm readings from empty 0 - 90 ohms full?

Where Are You From? Finland

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 Durant 614

That's what I thought, it was round. Been a long time since the 60's when I had 1930 614 sedan. Cost me $300 for this thing I can't use. That sending unit stand is round and the fabricator made a square box on mine grrr .. You would think having my tank as a model plus working on rod rods for people he could make round objects. The place is a metal shop and does work for the government and cars as well.

See if I can copy mine and the squarish mess tank.
 photo 001_1.jpg

The Durant Motors Automobile Club