Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
6 volt battery life

It seems even though I try to take very good care of my 6 volt batteries, and use float maintainers on them, I can only get about a maximum of three years from one. With very limited market choices for 6 volt batteries in Canada, I'm searching for a better one in USA. From my search, it appears East Penn makes one of if not the best one around. Can anyone help with that or suggest a better brand or tips? How long does yours last with TLC?

Where Are You From? Oro, Ontario, Canada

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: 6 volt battery life

I have been using the Optima 6 volt. They are smaller than a standard "box' six volt. You can buy a plastic battery box that looks like a old tar top battery and the Optima fits in there diagonally. I've had one for seven years. These "gel" batteries (Optima and Odyssey) take their own type of battery charger or maintainer. No leakage with this type of battery. I have been having trouble with the Optima 12V for other cars, so I buy Odyssey batteries for these other uses( they also have many different sizes--but no 6V). Seems like when you look on the internet for battery preferences you get big discussions almost as bad as what type of oil to use(and that's a lot). Ross

Where Are You From? Orygun

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930 6-14

The Napa 7244 in my Star is 4 years old and going strong. You might want to try a deep cycle type if you can find one in 6 volt. The lead plates are thicker in those.

Where Are You From? San Francisco area

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1925 Star

I always get several years(6-8) out of good heavy Group 1 6v..

Regular excitement(weekly if poissible) and using "distilled" water ONLY is all I do .

Note: when you buy a new battery look for the little colored sticker size of a dime on the case...It shows month/year...Do not buy it if is over a month old.
An also if dusty! HA!

New but stale batteries (sitting around to long) just don't seem to hold up as well as fresh new ones put into service relatively soon after manufacture and first charge.

Try to buy from a place with a high battery turn over ..For 6v it maybe
Marine or tractor dealers....Not your average auto parts store who carry one 6v for the occasional antique auto or V.W. buff.

Where Are You From? Conn.

Do You own a car built by Durant? Do I own a what...built by who?

I get mine from fleet farm and the last one went 7 years and this one is on the 5th year no problems

Where Are You From? WI

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star Coupster

The Durant Motors Automobile Club