Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
axle oil retainers

I am working on the rear axle of the D40. Making one good axle out of two. Behind the bearings at both ends of the axle housing is a cup which shows up on the exploded diagram from the technical page as oil retainers. There was nothing in any of the cups on either of the axles but I suspect there should be felt seals. If so, can they be replace with conventional seals or is it better to stay with felt. Does anyone know the size of replacements or where I can get the felt?

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

Re: axle oil retainers

Jim,

In our tecnical page and under modern improvements, Rick has an article on this procedure..."Modern rear axle grease seals"

Where Are You From? Leavenworth, WA / Yuma, AZ

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes

Re: axle oil retainers

Thanks Bill. I should have looked a little farther down the page. I will replace those outer seals with modern ones. What I haven't found yet are the inner seals on the other side of the bearing. There should be a seal on each side of the bearing. Is it replaced with the same modern seal?

Where Are You From? Lombardy, Ontario

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D 40

The Durant Motors Automobile Club